Hidden Gems of Netflix

Although many college students use Netflix to binge and re-binge their favorite television sitcoms and serials, the streaming service carries many great films in its selection, too. Among that overwhelmingly large selection are some diamonds in the rough. Here are a few of the most overlooked and underappreciated films that Netflix has to offer.

“Following”

When most people think of Christopher Nolan, they think of mind bending blockbusters like “Inception” or “The Dark Knight,” but the spectacle-obsessed auteur started from much humbler beginnings. Produced for a measly $6,000 in 1999, “Following” is the story of a young writer who follows strangers around London in hopes to find narrative inspiration for his new novel which eventually leads him into an underworld of crime. “Following” is deftly crafted ne-noir filmmaking from one of the greatest working directors today.

“Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father”

When Dr. Andrew Bagby was murdered in Nov. 2001, his best friend, documentarian Kurt Kuenne, set out to make a personal documentary for Bagby’s newly born son, Zachary. Kuenne did this so Zachary would one day be able to see a portrait of who is father was. However, the plot thickened, causing Kuenne’s documentary to take a whole new angle. I won’t say anything more than to have a stress squeezer and some tissue nearby for this one.

“Boogie Nights”

Even though “Boogie Nights” is easily the most well known film on this list, I still feel like not enough people have seen it. In 1997, director Paul Thomas Anderson released a tale of fame, excess and fall from grace all against the backdrop of the 1977 California porn industry. While that may sound problematic, the film never feels exploitative. It is akin to “The Wolf of Wall Street” in that the excess of the characters isn’t as much glamorized as it is cautionary. The film also has a great soundtrack, loads of directorial flair and a very young Mark Wahlberg as the lead. I really couldn’t recommend it enough.

“Barton Fink”

Joel and Ethan Coen have turned out one of the most impressive filmographies of all time, and although “Barton Fink” doesn’t measure up to the popularity of their more well known films like “The Big Lebowski” or “No Country for Old Men,” it definitely measures up to their gold-standard of cinematic storytelling. “Barton Fink” follows an uppity New York playwright who takes the opportunity to write a film in Los Angeles. Once in Los Angeles, Fink incurs writer’s block and a load of bizarre events ensues. I particularly recommend this for anyone who is struggling with writer’s block.

“Sing Street”

When I first watched “Sing Street,” I was shocked to find out that it made next to nothing at the box office. I was certain that a music-centric, feel good movie with a heart as big as this film’s would’ve been raking in the cash. Unfortunately, director John Carney’s 2016 effort faltered at the box office and remains one of the most criminally overlooked films of the past few years. It has Irish teenagers, ’80s rock music and an overarching story about familial relationships that is certain to make any viewer misty-eyed.

“Short Term 12”

This film follows a counselor for at-risk teens who also struggles with problems in her own past. “Short Term 12” offers a look at the experiences of troubled teenagers in the most realistic and often heart-wrenching of ways. Anchored by a stellar performance from Brie Larson, the film’s story offers a slice of life feel without being pretentious or boring. It offers a view of life from all different facets, whether those facets be beautiful or messy.

While these are my recommendations, there are most certainly more hidden gems on Netflix waiting to be found. So next time you are browsing Netflix and feel the urge to go round five on “The Office,” perhaps try something a little more unfamiliar, you just might stumble upon a diamond in the rough.