301 Bistro, Bar and Beer Garden offers distinct atmosphere, special events

301 Bistro, Bar, and Beer Garden is a distinct dining experience located in downtown Tuscaloosa. The building
itself has existed in Tuscaloosa for over 100 years, but was renovated just over a year ago. Since then, it has been home to a unique fusion of food, art and 
entertainment to Tuscaloosa.

Owner Bill Lloyd, who also owns Tuscaloosa’s Willhagan’s and Green Bar, has captured an extensive 
variety of activities and influences all in 
one restaurant.

“I love the historic building and I love that it is a Tuscaloosa icon,” said Lloyd. “I had run the venue as a private event facility for 10 years, but the whole time thought that I would eventually turn it into a restaurant. I was waiting for the right time. With the great growth that Tuscaloosa has experienced over the past few years and with everything that is going on downtown, I thought the time was right to undertake the 
renovation and open 301.”

In the creation of the Bistro, Lloyd has utilized the building’s space to be versatile for a variety of atmospheres and activities, all of which are 
observable depending on the time of day guests choose to visit. On a warm spring afternoon, for example, the beer garden in the front of the restaurant is often full of college students and adults alike conversing, playing cornhole and sipping on any of the 60 plus beers 
available from the bar.

On Sunday mornings, however, one would instead find the guests inside, enjoying a pot of French-pressed coffee
along with any of the freshly made entrees available for brunch. The Bistro opens at 4 p.m. every day, with the 
special exception of their jazz brunch on Sundays which begins at 11 a.m.

Although the establishment has only been a bistro for a little more than a year, the building itself has a 
complex history that goes back to 1912 when it was first built as a passenger 
station for the L&N Railroad Company. Since then, the building has been 
repurposed countless times, hosting 
private clubs, music venues and 
everything in between.

Upon entering the restaurant, it becomes quickly apparent that the art and furniture of the building has been thoughtfully curated.

“The décor is inspired by the 
building’s history,” Lloyd said. “It was built in 1912, at a time when the art nouveau movement was fading and art deco was all the rage. So I’d describe that aspect of the atmosphere as art nouveau-meets-art deco, and it’s a nod to the building’s heyday as an L&N Railroad passenger station. We also honor the space’s history as a train station, with historic photos and other artifacts blending into the 
overall look.”

Nathan Cordle, 26-year-old two-time alumni of The University of Alabama, is one of many regulars at 301 and shared some of his memories at 
the bistro.

“I started going to 301 as soon as it opened,” Cordle said. “I go at least once a week.”

Cordle was exposed to the restaurant
through his former professor Bebe Lloyd, Bill’s wife who organized and curated the art within the restaurant.

“The atmosphere is wonderful,” Cordle said. “I love what Bebe and Bill have done with the space – transformed a piece of history into a living piece of art. From the music and the artwork to the food and drinks, I feel like it’s a place where you can go to be yourself and enjoy a great experience.”

Among many other things, Cordle emphasized how much he enjoys the weekly jazz brunch the restaurant hosts every Sunday morning.

“It legitimately transports me to New Orleans every weekend,” he said. “New Orleans is one of my favorite cities on the planet, and the Voodoo Saints combined with great brunch cocktails, the food and the atmosphere takes me back to the French Quarter each time.”

Barefoot and Lloyd both said the bistro is a place where anyone who enjoys culture, good food, and something a little different can come for any occasion.

“The vibe is casual, yet sophisticated and unique in Tuscaloosa,” Lloyd said. “We want people to feel equally at home in either cocktail-
wear or blue jeans.”

Cordle confirms that they were 
successful in their endeavor.

“People of all ages would enjoy 301,” Cordle said. “Specifically, it’s great for happy hour, meeting friends one-on-one for drinks or dinner or hosting a larger group for dinner, an event or a general social gathering.”