University Programs brings the power of Finesse

University Programs presented its second comedy show Thursday night featuring stand-up comedian and Saturday Night Live alumnus Alfred Langston “Finesse” Mitchell. Before Mitchell took the stage, event emcee, freshman Vincent Fisher, kicked off the show with trivia questions and a student raffle.

Mitchell is a familiar face to comedy fans, from performing stand up on late-night TV for Jimmy Fallon and Conan O’Brien, to appearing on numerous comedy jam tours and television shows including Showtime at the Apollo and BET’s ComicView. He is perhaps best known from his three year stint on the hit NBC show Saturday Night Live. A featured player in the ensemble comedy, he showcased his talent for a wide range of celebrity impressions, from 50 Cent and Kobe Bryant to Colin Powell.

After his departure from SNL in 2006, Mitchell appeared in films, guested on TV and talk shows, and was a recurring character on the Disney Channel’s A.N.T. Farm. In addition to comedy, he also dispenses relationship advice as a published author and magazine contributor.

Nearly 300 fans came to see Mitchell perform. He immediately engaged the crowd by asking, “Who here is in their ’20s?” The roaring response from the audience filled the theater, then fell silent when he queried for anyone in their ’30s. Mitchell quickly honed in on his target audience, sensing the millennial energy. He later joked he was voting and starting a career when most of the audience was still in diapers.

Finesse may have started his career before most of his audience started kindergarten, but his comedy and playful, bantering spirit is comparable to any college student. His ability to relate despite the 20-year age difference resonated with his audience.

“His jokes were relevant and something I could related to and understand,” said Josh Downey, a junior majoring in public relations. “He found the comedy in a lot of social issues that are hard to discuss.”

Given the choice between either hearing jokes about sex or politics, the crowed eagerly insisted sex. After 10 minutes of surveying the crowd’s sexual experience, or rather inexperience, Finesse shifted the topic to politics and referenced his short-lived friendship with President Donald Trump. Mitchell met Trump in 2004 when the then businessman hosted SNL. The crowed was on the edge of their seats, waiting to hear the comedian’s take on our president.

“I can tell Trump jokes and I’ve heard people say, ‘hey, hey, hey’ before I even finished the joke,” Mitchell said. “It’s up to really good comics to make us laugh at stuff.”

Mitchell said a comedian’s responsibility to bring light to the current political situation, which may have been what resonated with his audience most. He took a topic the audience was divided on, but brought them together with his humor.

“He was really funny when he talked about Donald Trump, and how he knew him personally,” said TJ Ross, a freshman majoring in telecommunication and film. “I just want to know if he’s spoken to him since he won the election.” 

The crowd’s interest in his brief friendship with Trump surprised Mitchell.

“They loved the politics—they’re smart, they get it,” Mitchell said. “I didn’t even have to do sex jokes.”

Mitchell’s comedic perspective, on both real-life situations and his own personal experiences from college, captivated his audience from start to finish. Fans who missed the Tide After Dark appearance can visit the comic’s website for info on future live shows. The website also features Vimeo clips from his “One Man Monster” show and a “Finesse Flashback.”