PRACTICE REPORT: Alabama holds fourth spring practice of the year

Jacob Arthur

Alabama football held its fourth spring practice of 2017 on Tuesday. Excluding the quarterbacks, the Crimson Tide worked through drills in full pads for the first time this spring.

Notes:

• Former Heisman trophy winner Derrick Henry watched practice from the sidelines. Henry played from Alabama from 2012-2015, and currently plays for the Tennessee Titans.
  • Shaun Dion Hamilton, who tore his ACL in the SEC Championship, was seen on the field with the inside linebackers. Hamilton wore a black, non-contact jersey for the viewing session.
  • Minkah Fitzpatrick and Anthony Averett were the two wide corners for the Crimson Tide. Senior Tony Brown worked at the star position when Alabama lined up in its nickel package. A surprise to no one, head coach Nick Saban worked with the defensive backs.
  • Outside linebackers worked on agility and power during the session. Players would sidestep pads on the ground and then explode through a standing dummy afterward. Redshirt freshman linebacker Ben Davis remained at outside linebacker. He made the change to that position last week.
  • As far as receivers go, Calvin Ridley and Robert Foster were the first two receivers to run through drills.
  • Alabama’s offensive line ran through drills in groups. From the looks of it, the first group was Jonah Williams, Ross Pierschbacher, Bradley Bozeman, Lester Cotton and Matt Womack.
  • After working on hitting, the inside linebackers worked on scooping up fumbles. Players like Dylan Moses and Rashaan Evans would hit a pad then run towards a football on the ground, scooping it up and running with it. Defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt coached this group of players directly.