Local comedian to open for Steve Harvey

Tuscaloosa resident Jermaine “Funnymaine” Johnson is no rookie to the game of standup comedy. With five years of experience under his belt playing in various venues throughout the Southeast, Johnson has built up a reputation as one of the most reliably funny homegrown comedians Alabama has to offer.

The years of relentlessly playing comedy clubs across the state are starting to pay off for him. He is set to open for Steve Harvey this Saturday in Birmingham at the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex at 7 p.m. to a sold-out crowd.

Johnson earned the opportunity by standing out in a few radio-sponsored comedy showcases held in Birmingham. The comedian went up against 21 other comedians in front of judges and a live audience for two shows. After a callback that cut the competition down to 12 other comedians, Johnson was named the winner.

William “Skip” Garrett, Johnson’s manager as well as the CEO and senior brand manager of Boomtown Group Inc., said Johnson’s performances in the showcases went very well.

“I felt like he had a really good stage presence and that his act was really funny,” Garrett said. “His overall experience as a comedian has matured, as well as his overall maturity in the game. All that came together and allowed him to deliver an excellent show.”

A graduate of Stillman College in 2003 and a graduate student at the University from 2005 to 2006, Johnson started getting into comedy through his childhood friend Tre Williamson, another successful comedian who has appeared on Boost Mobile commercials, BET’s Comic View and FX’s acclaimed cop drama “The Shield.”

“I was writing for him at the time while he was doing standup,” Johnson said. “We grew up together, and I decided to give it a shot under his advice.”

Johnson is a longtime fan of standup comedy, citing Chris Rock in particular as his favorite comedian. His style is reminiscent of Rock’s keen observations, coupled with his own signature easygoing stage presence. He describes his style as “reality that never happened.”

The news that he will be opening for Steve Harvey, star of his own show and one of the comedians featured in Spike Lee’s blockbuster “The Kings of Comedy,” has not fazed Johnson’s work ethic one bit.

He plans on getting back to work as soon as he finishes the show, with upcoming shows planned at homecoming events for Tuskegee University, Stillman College, Troy University and Claflin University in South Carolina.

“It’s a big step in his career, but he doesn’t count this as truly ‘arriving’ yet.” Garrett said. “It’s great that he’s opening for Steve Harvey so one day he can have some up-and-coming comedian open a sold-out show for him.”

Johnson said persistence is crucial for aspiring comedians in Tuscaloosa.

“Keep writing, keep performing and be as funny as you can all the time,” he said. “You’ll get better with time.”

For those who wish to see Johnson’s act in Tuscaloosa, he has performed at the local comedy showcase ComicKaze every other Tuesday at Little Willie’s, along with various other Alabama comedians.