Tide falls in home tourney

Disappointment surrounds the men’s tennis team this week while the Tide recovers from a series of early losses in the United States Tennis Association/International Tennis Association Southern Regional Tournament this weekend.

The Tide hosted the four-day tournament beginning Friday but had no remaining players after day three of the competition.

Junior Ricky Doverspike said he felt disappointed in the weekend’s results but sees an opportunity for improvement before the spring season begins.

“I don’t think we played to our potential, and we have a lot of work to do,” Doverspike said.

Friday’s doubles competition showed promise, as three of the four competing Tide teams beat various opponents in their brackets. Then, in the first round of singles, junior Vikram Reddy and sophomore Jarryd Botha advanced to Saturday’s play, as well as three other Alabama players – juniors Doverspike and Michael Thompson and sophomore Ian Caldwell – who all had byes in the first round.

Doverspike said he felt the set up of the tournament allowed the losses the Tide suffered during the second round to minimize the team’s first round successes.

“The people that were playing well in their first match got knocked out in the second round,” Doverspike said. “It was kind of unfair for them that they could not show the coaches and everyone how well they were playing.”

The Tide won four matches out of nine on Saturday, but due to teams falling in other matches Saturday, only Doverspike and Thompson returned to play in the consolation bracket on Sunday. Both lost in Sunday matches, and the Tide did not advance to compete in Monday’s closing matches.

Thompson said he felt he can correct his mistakes from the match and hopefully play his opponent Carson Kadi of Samford again later in the season.

“I came off pretty slow,” Thompson said. “I played the kid last year, and I beat him so I was pretty disappointed. As for that match, he played pretty well. Hopefully we play them again, and I can beat him next time.”

Kadi defeated both Thompson and Doverspike on Sunday, knocking the two remaining Tide players out of the competition. However, Thompson said he felt that the Tide can correct its weekend errors through practice.

“We have to work hard and continue to work hard,” Thompson said. “I think that everyone is lacking some confidence right now, and a few wins in a few weeks will improve that, and that everyone will work hard over Christmas break and come back and have a good season, a successful one.”

The Tide will host the Crimson Tide Fall Classic at home Nov. 5. Doverspike said this weekend’s performance would serve as motivation for the team.

“This is a pretty good wake-up call that we did not perform well on our home courts,” Doverspike said. “It was pretty embarrassing. I think we will go out with a chip on our shoulders for the next match.”