Monarch Espresso Bar to teach pour over class

Caroline Japal

Spring semester is done, interim just finished up and summer classes are now upon us, but the chance to learn keeps getting more delicious. Monarch Espresso Bar will host “Coffee 101” this Wednesday, May 31 — a class dedicated to the art of the pour over.

What exactly is a pour over and why is it a big deal? That’s a question Monarch owner Audrey Vermilyea gets asked every day while behind the register. Normally, the question is followed by a concise 30-second explanation, the order is placed, the pour over made and the customer enjoys their coffee with a new bit of knowledge. 

However, now there will be 30 minutes dedicated solely to the process of the pour over during the “Coffee 101” event hosted by Monarch and Young Professionals of Tuscaloosa. 

The class will begin at Monarch at 6 p.m. and costs $10. It’s meant to be an intimate learning experience, so the class is limited to around 10 people. 

Along with a thorough explanation of the process, attendees of the class will be trained by a Monarch barista on the proper technique of a pour over and get a chance to taste several single-origin coffees while being guided on their individual tasting notes.

“We’re trying to keep the energy up over the summer with these classes,” Vermilyea said. 

The event will be the second of four instructional classes hosted at Monarch over the course of the summer specializing in coffee technique. Monarch also plans to host other events including restorative yoga, an essential oils class and a three-course dining experience with wine pairing hosted by Local Roots Food Truck.

“We’re all about wellness and quality of life, and so in doing these events we’re hoping to create a great community and overlap of those areas,” said Vermilyea.