Ultimate Frisbee rising in popularity

Ultimate Frisbee has been a competitive club sport on campus since the 1970s, when it was first established here at Alabama. However, it wasn’t always an intercollegiate sport.

“In the 70s there were roughly 100-150 people on the team, but it definitely wasn’t as competitive,” said team captain Zack Moore. “It was just a bunch of guys throwing around. There were still end-zones and a field, but now we have set offenses and it’s more structured.”

Ultimate Frisbee was originally an intramural sport here at Alabama until 1982 when, for the first time, the Tide started traveling to other colleges to compete, taking the pastime to the intercollegiate level.

Bama Ultimate is one of the fastest growing organizations on campus. Just recently the team tripled its numbers, from having only 15 members in the 2007-08 year to having split the team into two squads this year.

“We have an A-team, which consists of more skilled players, players who have been playing a lot longer,” said club president Will Drumright. “Then our B-team is the younger, more inexperienced players who still get the chance to play Ultimate and compete.”

Within the A-team, there are about five seniors, including Moore, Drumright and Tim Brady, the other team captain, who have been with Bama Ultimate since their freshman year and have become very close friends.

“A little Ultimate family is a good way to describe what we have become,” Drumright said.

When Drumright came to Alabama, he had every intention to play Ultimate Frisbee, because he played frequently when he was a high school student.

“What really made me fall in love with [ultimate Frisbee] here at Alabama was the guys,” Drumright said. “We have a really great group of guys who just enjoy playing. We’ve always made it a point to be fun even if we’re trying to be serious.”

Ultimate Frisbee is specifically designed for everyone and anyone who wants to play. According to the team, Ultimate is an excellent way to keep in shape while also meeting a bunch of new people and having a great time.

“Ultimate is challenging, so I really got hooked when I first came out,” Brady said. “I wanted to keep on getting better. We would go to tournaments and have a lot fun.”

Even though Ultimate Frisbee is a competitive sport and the players strive to win all the tournaments leading up to college nationals, Alabama keeps the competition fun.

“We’ll get serious when we have to be serious,” Drumright said. “But we’re all out here to have fun and to make sure everyone is having fun because that is what Ultimate is suppose to be.”

There is no cut-off date to join the team so anyone can go to any the team’s practices or scrimmages, pick up a Frisbee and play. Practices are held Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-7 p.m at the Student Recreation Field, and scrimmages are on Sundays at 2 p.m., also on the Rec Field.