Tide slips and slides to glory

The University knows a little something about collegiate records. Citing football, 22 Southeastern Conference Championships and 57 bowl appearances have solidified the University’s status as a decorated program.

Tuscaloosa is home to other world records, as well. Edgar’s Closet Museum, at 22 square feet, is the smallest museum in the world.

But what if you’re not a member of the football team? What if you don’t have the means to dedicate a closet to a poet? How do those left out stamp their names in that beer brewery’s book of records?

Students and non-students alike will have the opportunity Friday. Beginning at 2 p.m. and lasting until 5 p.m., Schick Hydro will host “Slide for Campus Pride at Alabama” at the Retreat at Lake Tamaha. Attendees will have the opportunity to go down the Schick Hydro Slide in an attempt to set the world record for the most people to go down a slip n’ slide in one hour.

Mary Kathryn Doggette, a junior majoring in public relations and leasing intern at the Retreat, contends that this event might help the Crimson faithful cope with the football team’s first loss of the season.

“We like to win. We’re a winning school,” Doggette said. “Just because [the football team] had one loss is no reason to stop doing what we do.”

The event will take place on the lawn in the Retreat’s newer division. There, a 50-foot, lubed-up, hosed-down slide will act as the potential portal to the record books. 1864 bodies will have to slide in the time frame in order to set the record currently held by the University of Central Florida.

The University is competing for UCF’s record with nine other schools across the country. Schick specifically chose these 10 schools to promote their products.

“I think they asked us because we’re champions, and they know we can throw a good party,” said Lisa Sudderth, a junior majoring in public relations and brand ambassador for Schick.

Being chosen as a participant indicates that Schick projects a big turnout. This is good for Schick from a promotional standpoint, but it’s also good for students interested in setting the record. Doggette likes Alabama’s chances.

“The record at the University of Central Florida was set by about 40 people,” she said. “We already have more than 200 confirmed guests on the Facebook event.”

Students can expect a bunch of giveaways from various sponsors of the event including Schick Hydro, Moe’s Original BBQ, Chick-fil-a and Monster Energy drink.

“Those types of sponsors usually mean free food,” Doggette said.

However, there might be other reasons to attend besides free eats and the glory that comes with world records. The event will provide a venue for a live band on an outdoor stage, as well as the opportunity to have fun in swimsuits before fall finally decides to stay.

There are also monetary incentives. Student organizations will be paid $100 for every 10 members who slide down the Hydro Slide. Also, the two organizations with the most sliders will receive $500.

Doggette said she believes others should be excited.

“Slip n’ slide?  You don’t have to ask me twice,” she said.  “This is just one more title for Alabama to hold.”

Doggette said attendees will have plenty of time to change clothes and make it to the homecoming bonfire that starts at 7.

For more information, visit facebook.com/HydroExperience.