Women's basketball tops Mississippi Valley State 98-35

Getting off to a good start in any sport is crucial for success. Even though athletes and players can start off slow and still have a good result, it is better to come out firing on all cylinders. Sophomore Quanetria Bolton has started off the season doing just that, already breaking her career-high twice in three games.

Bolton continued her successful start to the season on Nov. 22  when Alabama took down Mississippi Valley State 98-35, scoring 21 points. Her performance broke her career high of 19 points that she set just nine days before Sunday’s game. Bolton shot 90 percent from the field while also grabbing two rebounds and blocking three shots.

“I just wanted to come back better,” Bolton said. “I was not really focused on scoring. I just wanted to be out there and help contribute to the team.”

Bolton bounced back after a sluggish performance against Appalachian State where she only scored two points. Her production down low as been both a product of her ability to finish through contact, as well as her receiving good passes on the block.

“She is just one of our hardest workers,” said head coach Kristy Curry. “Her body is learning how to work harder, and she is practicing well. You are starting to see her gain some confidence in practice and it is carrying over into the games.”

Alabama rode Bolton’s performance to yet another easy win, capturing their third straight victory of 30 points or more. The team scored over 90 points for the third consecutive game which is the first time Alabama has done that since the 2001-02 season.

“I like that we are scoring a lot of points because that has been a weakness in the past,” Curry said. “I understand that is going to get more difficult and they do as well, but I like the way we are approaching the moment.”

The Tide once again got production from a lot of different players. The team had five players, including Bolton, score in double figures, with four of those being in the starting lineup. The substitutes provided even more production for the team, tallying 37 points as a unit.

Sophomores Hannah Cook and Meoshonti Knight scored in double figures for the third straight game, with Cook having 10 points and Knight having 13. Sophomore Karyla Middlebrook scored 12 points while senior Khadijah Carter came off the bench and recorded 11 points in the win.

“I like the way we are winning these games,” Curry said. “That is something we haven’t been able to do in the past. We have not been able to win like this and I think you take away a lot of moments that are good as well as understanding that we have areas that we have to continue to improve on.”

Alabama was able to continue to keep up their intense defense play. The Crimson Tide forced 30 turnovers in this game, which lead to 38 points. Coming into this game, the team was ranked first in the NCAA in blocks per game at 11.5. They continued to put up those kind of numbers, blocking 12 shots. They also held yet another team to under 30 percent shooting, with the Devils only making 22.4 percent of their attempts.

The team will be back in action on Nov. 24, looking to go 4-0 when they take on Georgia State in Foster Auditorium.