New staff, team build stronger program

With a brand new coaching staff and new, young players, the Alabama women’s basketball team is hoping to start over and build a stronger program.

Alabama hired head coach Kristy Curry in May, and she said she already has high hopes for her first season.

“We’re 20 practices in; we’re just really excited in the direction that we’re headed,” Curry said. “Love the work ethic, the enthusiasm. It’s time for us to play somebody different and see a different color jersey than crimson or white.”

Curry and the team have worked hard during the offseason not only to work toward getting ready for the upcoming season, but also to get to know each other better. During the summer, the coaching staff was allowed to watch six hours of conditioning and spend only two hours a week with the team on the floor.

“You really want to try to build a relationship with them away from the floor, and you know there’s not enough time in the day because you know that takes time for us to get to know them as people,” Curry said.

Curry said she knows it’s not easy for the girls to adjust to a whole new program, but she has seen a warm reception and positive results.

“I think the first thing that comes to mind is how willing they’ve been to give us a chance, how open they’ve been to try new things, new ideas, a new way, a new culture, and I really respect and appreciate the kind of people they are,” Curry said. “It’s just about trying to build a relationship with them away from the floor.”

Even though her team is young, with seven freshmen and only one senior, Curry said that is not a disadvantage.

“This is really a great group of people when you’ve got [Shafontaye] Myers as your only senior. What a tremendous amount of responsibility she has on her shoulders. She’s been unbelievable as a role model, as an example,” she said. “We’ve just got some great people in place that want to do better, what to come into more wins. We want to see results.”

The players have also noticed Curry’s and the coaching staff’s efforts for the players to be their best at all times.

“She brought in a strong leadership,” senior Shafontaye Myers said. “They showed us that they care but at the same time that they’re willing to discipline us and make sure that we’re on our best on and off the court. So I really appreciate that from a coaching stand point.”

Sophomore forward Nikki Hegstetter also said she appreciated the positive atmosphere the new staff has brought.

“That’s just a totally different aspect that this team has never had before, and I know as a team we really appreciate it ,and you can tell that by our chemistry with the coaching staff that’s a whole different ball game here. That’s a very positive note that the staff’s brought,” Hegstetter said.

With their new coaching staff and new players, Hegstetter said she and the team believe they can have a strong season.

“We’re in a position where we have the talent and we can do something with it,” Hegstetter said. And being pushed as hard you put your work in in the beginning so all of us are looking forward to what were going to get out of this. Knowing that we put all of this work in really gives us confidence going into the season.”

The Crimson Tide will play its first exhibition game Monday against West Alabama in Foster Auditorium at 7 p.m.