Power of Pink draws energetic crowd

There was something different in Foster Auditorium during Friday night’s volleyball game when a mixture of pink and crimson shirts filled the stands.

It was the Power of Pink, and the crowd rallied behind the team.

“[I was] really pleased with the energy that we played with,” head coach Ed Allen said Friday. “Home crowd was terrific in helping provide a lot of that energy as well, and I thought we executed offensively as solid as we have all year long.”

Allen wasn’t the only Alabama coach on the floor. Softball coach Patrick Murphy was one of several other coaches in attendance.

“I think it’s really cool, especially among the women’s sports,” Murphy said Friday. “We all support each other. … Tonight, I think that was the best atmosphere I think I’ve been in the new Foster since they renovated, and it’s really cool to see coach Allen and his team come through with a 3-0 sweep.”

Alabama swept Texas A&M in three sets (33-31, 25-22, 25-21) in front of a crowd of 1,264 people. Nearly the same amount of people came for the LSU match Sunday afternoon. The difference was a noticeable amount of purple in the stands instead of pink.

The Tigers’ fans were loud, but freshman Brittany Thomas said she didn’t mind.

“No, that’s great,” Thomas said. “Any kind of – even if it’s for the other team – that kind of atmosphere just builds, just makes it makes the game even more fun to play in.”

Alabama had 62 kills in its win over LSU. Mattie Weldy led the team with a .522 hitting percentage. She was third on the team with kills Sunday with a career-high 15. Both Thomas and Krystal Rivers put up double-digit kills with 18 and 16, respectively.

“It takes a lot of stress off of me when I have so many options to go to,” setter Sierra Wilson said. “I don’t have to think as much about getting them one-on-one or in better situations. I really just have a lot of options so it’s good for me.”

Alabama beat LSU in four sets (27-25, 20-25, 25-20, 25-15). Still, the crowd was hard to miss Sunday as LSU chants filled Foster after the Tigers won a point. The fans were a motivation to play better, Wilson said.

Both matches provided good atmospheres to play and win in, Allen said.

“LSU fans are passionate, just like Alabama fans are,” Allen said. “We just like to play in exciting atmospheres; we don’t care if we’re home or away. Our kids enjoy playing in front of people, and again, it was a good crowd in both matches.”

With the two wins, Alabama improved to 16-5 on the season and 4-3 in SEC play.