Alabama looks to continue winning streak

Behind another stellar performance by Krystal Rivers, the University of Alabama volleyball team won its third tournament of the year. Rivers posted a .398 hitting percentage and 51 kills over the weekend, earning her third straight MVP.

She was named Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week Monday following her performance at the Clemson Classic. Rivers leads the team in kills (171) and kills per set (3.56).

“She’s leading us in kills per set, hitting percentage, and I think is maybe even the top ten in the nation in hitting percentage,” head coach Ed Allen said. “I think if she continues to evolve and we’re able to make her more available in more difficult situations where we may not have the ball control, we’re going to clearly climb as a team as well. But she’s been progressing very well. We’re excited about where she’s at now but more importantly I think excited about where we think she can be in December.”

It hasn’t just been Rivers leading the team. Sophomore Sierra Wilson and senior Andrea McQuaid also made the All-Tournament Team. Wilson put up 178 assists over the tournament, including a career-high 73 in the win over Clemson. McQuaid had 27 kills from all three matches. Their performances in the tournament have helped develop the younger players, Allen said.

“I think just becoming more familiar with one another,” he said. “We have three kids that are playing significant time that – actually, four kids – didn’t play for us last year so just blending their talents and abilities together with the kids that we have back, we’re a young team, and I think every match is important to us because we gain experience.”

Alabama has won its past nine matches and is looking to extend its streak. The team has one more match before starting SEC play against a No. 19-ranked University of Kentucky team.

But the team isn’t focusing on Kentucky just yet. It has areas it needs to improve on before conference play starts, according to Allen. The upcoming match against Alabama State will be a litmus test to determine at what level the team is playing.

“We’re not really thinking about SEC play right now till we get through the Alabama State [match],” Allen said. “But I’m hoping that we’ll continue to show progress defensively against them and pressure at the service line which are two areas that we’ve really been focusing on the last couple weeks and then turn our attention to a very good Kentucky team that’s going to be in here on Sunday.”