Crossroads celebrates Hispanic Latino heritage

Maggie Espino, a senior majoring in English, said she is looking forward to the next month, which is Hispanic Latino Heritage Month from now until Oct. 15.

“I am proud of my heritage,” Espino said. “I think it’s important for students to be aware of this vibrant culture that is so alive in our country.”

Chris Chirino, a junior majoring in philosophy and a student intern at Crossroads Community Center, is helping coordinate events throughout the month.

The kick-off event occurred Thursday at the Ferguson Center and was a “Global Café” in which students could have refreshments, listen to Hispanic and Latino music, listen to live performances and partake in dancing, according to the Facebook event page.

Chirino said the event was a success.

“Everything was fantastic,” Chirino said. “There were at least 45 individuals there who actually came, sat down and stayed for a while. We had music from one of our student interns, and we had people taking pictures.”

There will be several more events throughout the month to continue celebrating.

According to the Hispanic Latino Heritage Month calendar, there are several upcoming movie showings, an international coffee hour, a study abroad fair, several panel discussions, Cuba Week and more.

The calendar can be found at crossroads.ua.edu.

Chirino said Hispanic Latino Heritage Month is relevant to all students on campus.

“The focus of the University is to prepare students for the real world,” Chirino said. “So exposing students to different cultures will better prepare them for the real world. This falls under campus engagement, residential community engagement and civic engagement.”

Chirino said the goal of the month is to allow those with Hispanic Latino background a chance to celebrate that fact.

“The goal of the month is essentially to allow those both on-campus and off-campus with Hispanic Latino cultural backgrounds to celebrate themselves along with everyone else,” Chirino said.

The month holds a special importance for him as well because he is of Hispanic Latino background.

“In Miami we celebrate this fact every day, but here not many people know about the Hispanic Latino community,” Chirino said.

The end of the month will be celebrated with a block party in the Ferguson Plaza.

“Crossroads encourages every student to participate in whatever they can,” Chirino said. “Take your friends and enjoy whatever festivities. Come out on Oct. 14 for the block party and celebrate the culture with us. We are renting out the whole plaza, and there will be live entertainment, food and more.”

Lisa Elizondo, a junior majoring in American studies, will be a speaker for Hispanic Latino Heritage month.

Elizondo, a McNair scholar, will be speaking about research she did over the summer in Washington about the oral history of the Chicano civil rights movement of the 1960s and 1970s, she said.

“I think that Hispanic Latino Heritage Month is important because of the state that we’re in,” Elizondo said. “We’re at a University where there aren’t a lot of Hispanic students, but it is definitely a number that is growing. It’s great to have our own celebration and everybody aware of our culture.”

Chirino said he hopes as many people get involved and participate in the month as possible.

“It’s important to me to get students engaged and get them prepared for what comes at them,” Chirino said.