An appeal to local arts enthusiasts

Many people don’t realize the turnover the CW experiences each year — practically our entire staff changes every fall, as previous staff members graduate or move on to other publications.

That’s the nature of a student publication, and it keeps the paper fresh by allowing the new staff to focus the coverage as they see fit. At the same time, we can’t magically convert the paper to fit our vision of what it should be as soon as that task falls into our laps.

In the past, many people have criticized this newspaper, and particularly the lifestyles section, for ignoring essential facets of Tuscaloosa arts and local culture. The people involved in and curious about the local scene have repeatedly lamented that they’ve been let down by local arts coverage.

I have one short year to change that perception, if possible. I think the media and members of the arts community as a whole should have a largely positive relationship, considering the fact that interaction can only benefit us both.

I want to clarify the goals I’d like to accomplish throughout the next two semesters.

To the best of my abilities, this year’s lifestyles section will primarily emphasize local coverage. We plan to cover Tuscaloosa events, both on and off campus, and write about topics exclusive to our newspaper.

What’s the purpose of a student newspaper if it doesn’t focus on issues of particular and immediate interest to students?

In other words, yeah, Jersey Shore is popular, but you can read about it in any national tabloid, newspaper, website or blog.

The purpose of The Crimson White should be to give students coverage they absolutely can’t get anywhere else.

Every person I’ve ever met in the Tuscaloosa arts community has one thing in common — a tremendous passion for what they do.

I don’t want any one of these people to feel overlooked or discriminated against by this publication.

After living in Tuscaloosa for three years, this job has taught me I still have a lot to learn about the arts scene in this city. Most notably, it does exist in a big way, and it’s certainly vibrant now and growing rapidly.

For the culturally inclined, there’s almost always something to experience, if you know where to look. Tuscaloosa lays claim to a host of seriously talented local musicians, all types of cultural events at the Bama Theatre, the Kentuck and Druid City arts festivals, an assortment of religious groups, numerous restaurants that serve amazing food and much more.

Lifestyles includes all aspects of culture, including music, film, art, theatre, gaming, food, television, fashion, dance, health, religion and literature. Last time I checked, there are only 24 hours every day, though I often wish there were more.

I’m not superhuman by any stretch of the imagination. As much as I wish I could keep track of every arts-related event happening in Tuscaloosa and its surrounding areas, I can’t.

So please, please, please if you have something going on, tell me about it. E-mail me, find me on Facebook, call the Office of Student Media.

Meet me, and I’ll probably give you my cell number or my personal e-mail, just to ensure you can contact me at any time.

Reach out to us, and we’ll reach out to you.