Bama Theatre features unplugged artists

Bama  Theatre features unplugged artists

While many venues in Tuscaloosa have music as background for drinking and socializing, Acoustic Night at the Bama Theatre provides a different listening experience.

“People that come to Acoustic Night know they’re coming to hear whoever’s playing,” said Bama Theatre manager David Allgood. “It’s not a pickup joint; it’s a place where music lovers and artists meet.”

The events aim to showcase up-and-coming artists from across the country. This Friday’s event features artists Judd & Maggie, Taylor Hollingsworth and K. Taylor, all of whom have performed previously at the Bama.

Brother and sister duo Judd and Maggie Bolger have enjoyed performing at the Bama in the past, particularly in the smaller room where it seems the audience listens more attentively, Maggie said.

“It seems like there’s a natural community of music lovers in the area who come there because they’re open to what’s playing,” she said. “It’s nice to show up to a venue and feel like you’re building a following.”

Judd and Maggie grew up in Baltimore with five siblings, all of whom are musically inclined and often played music together at home. After high school, when Judd performed in various bands and Maggie was immersed in musical theatre, they began playing together, Maggie said.

“We have a really natural harmony, and it just felt like a good fit,” she said.

The duo has a pop/rock sound that is often compared to Fleetwood Mac, and they write all of their own songs.

“Some of [our songs] are a little bit esoteric, but we try to work in a good verse and a catchy chorus,” Maggie said.

They have recorded the past two of their four full-length albums, including their new album “Choose,” independently instead of with a major record label.

Judd and Maggie’s music can be found at choosejuddandmaggie.com or on iTunes.

Artists Taylor Hollingsworth and K. Taylor, both Birmingham natives, will perform together as a duo called the Dead Singers.

Although Hollingsworth has spent much of his life traveling, first as a child and later as a lead guitarist on numerous U.S. and European tours, he hasn’t lost his Alabama roots.

“Listening closely, one can hear the gritty echoes of the South’s greatest musicians in his guitar,” according to an Arts Council press release.

Singer/songwriter K. Taylor comes from a family of musical prowess, including a father who is a session musician, sister Maria Taylor who was a member of the group Azure Ray and a brother who is a member of the group Bright Eyes.

Taylor got her musical start in her hometown of Birmingham performing with her sister and members of the band Wild Sweet Orange, according to a press release.

Taylor showcases her talent for songwriting and performing through her skill on drums, guitar, piano and vocals.

Instead of in the main theater, the bands will perform in the smaller Greensboro Room, an intimate setting that allows a lot of interaction between the artists and the audience.

“First and foremost, it’s a listening room, the only listening room in Tuscaloosa as far as I know,” Allgood said.

Smoking is prohibited, and the staff discourages talking while the bands are playing. These factors, as well as the early starting time, appeal to many people who don’t go to bars.

“It fits a niche that no one else is doing in town anywhere in town that I’m aware of,” Allgood said.

Doors open at 7 p.m. with the music beginning a half hour later. The cover charge is $5, and all proceeds go directly to the artists, and all ages are welcome. A full-service bar is available for patrons 21 and up.

For more information, call 758-5195 or visit  tuscarts.org.  News from the Arts Council and the Bama Theatre is also available on Facebook and Twitter.