No starting QB listed on depth chart

No starting QB listed on depth chart
Pete Pajor

The Crimson Tide coach listed both Blake Sims and Jake Coker as the No. 1 quarterbacks on the depth chart that was released to the media on Monday. Saban said both players will continue to get reps this week, and a decision has not been made on the possibility of playing both quarterbacks against ?West Virginia.

“We feel like both guys have been doing a very, very good job,” Saban said Monday afternoon. “Obviously somebody has to start the game, and we will make that decision ?probably at some point in time this week. I think both guys are doing a good job right now, and we are going to continue to try to develop both of those players.”

The two players have been in a competition ever since Coker arrived as a junior transfer from Florida State earlier this year. Saban said he has noticed improvements by both Sims and Coker, but Sims has showed more familiarity with the offense due to his time spent in the program.

“I think [Sims] is more comfortable doing the things that we do and has done a really good job and has played really well this fall camp,” Saban said. “[Coker] is obviously the newer guy of the two. He does not have the same knowledge and experience. We are just trying to get him more and more familiar so that he can play with the rhythm that we need to play with offensively.”

Robinson named starter at left tackle

After practicing with the first team for fall camp, true freshman Cam Robinson has been named the starter at left tackle. Robinson will have the task of replacing All-American ?tackle Cyrus Kouandjio.

Robinson was a highly touted prospect coming out of high school in West Monroe, Louisiana. He beat out senior Leon Brown and junior college transfer Dominick Jackson for the starting job, who both battled injuries throughout camp.

Saban said he can’t remember a time when he had a true freshman starting at left tackle.