UA track and field team climbs ranks

The Alabama track and field team looks to continue its success as it travels to the Golden State to contend in the Mt. SAC Relays this weekend.

This week, the men’s team jumped two spots in the USTFCCCA rankings to No. 7, a program best.

The Crimson Tide has found an extra burst of confidence after picking up 14 event wins and breaking over a dozen personal best records Friday at the Border Clash.

(See also “Track and field team earns 14 wins in meet“)

Coach Dan Waters said he believes confidence is a crucial component for an athlete to reach his full potential and is sure the team is where it needs to be at this point in the season.

“I do feel like we are a confident team right now, and we should be,” Waters said. “We’ve improved as each week has passed, which is what we aim to do at this phase of the season.”

Senior Diondre Batson matched his best set time on the 100-meter Friday with the second fastest time in school history.

“I’m already confident in myself,” Batson said. “But I can’t wait to be first, obviously.”

(See also “Crimson Tide hosts invitational track meet“)

Batson, a California native, said he is eager to race in his home state, knowing family and friends will be there to support him and the Crimson Tide. The senior could not think of words to describe how excited he was.

Batson is not the only Crimson Tide track and field star who is enthusiastic about competing in California. Sophomore Kimberley Ficenec said she can hardly contain her excitement about having her father there to see her race for the first time in several years.

Ficenec finished second in the 1,500-meter run at the Border Clash, beating her personal record by six seconds.

“I think we’re all pretty confident. I mean, our mindsets are right,” Ficenec said. “Everyone’s trying to compete their hardest ‘cause we’re getting ready for the end of the season and SECs coming up soon, so I think we’re heading in strong.”

Alabama is looking to further its winning feats in midseason into the championship portion of the season.

“It is another chance for us to prove ourselves against good competition and set ourselves up for even better performances when we hit the SEC meet, the NCAA regional meet and the NCAA Outdoor Championships,” Waters said.

The Crimson Tide will begin races Thursday in the annual Mt. SAC Relays at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, Calif.

(See also “Track and Field team looks to improve scores“)