UA softball to play first ranked team

For junior Chaunsey Bell, softball is a family affair.

Her two older sisters played, and when she was younger, she wanted to follow in their footsteps. She started playing when she was 5 years old and started playing travel ball a few years later.

Neither of Bell’s sisters was a catcher.

“One was a shortstop, and then one was a pitcher, so I got stuck behind the plate because my dad was like, ‘I’m tired of getting all these bruises so I’m sticking you behind there,’” Bell said.

Her sister Chanda pitched at Kentucky. The two sisters met only once in their college careers. In 2012, Alabama swept Kentucky in Lexington, Ky.

(See also “Alabama softball wins first Women’s College World Series“)

“She was a senior my freshman year here, so it was fun getting to play against her one year, and it was a good little rivalry, and my family got to come in,” Bell said. “It was just a lot of fun.”

Bell fielded .985 behind the plate in 2013. She played in 25 games. So far in the 2014 season, Bell has played in four of five games and started in three of them.

“Chaunsey does a great job of receiving,” Alabama coach Patrick Murphy said. “I think every pitcher’s comfortable throwing to her. She’s got great presence behind the plate. That physical presence is awesome. She’s a big target, so there’s so many positives with her behind the plate.”

Murphy said Bell came back in great shape in the fall, which helped her as a catcher. He said he never has a concern about her work ethic.

“Just her passion for the game, just the way she goes about her business is great, and she’s a professional,” coach Patrick Murphy said. “You know that’s a great compliment to give her, but we never worry about her and her readiness to play the game.”

(See also “Murphy’s dream 13 years on; program began from nothing“)

This weekend, the team will trade in the cold, rainy weather in Alabama for a warm, sunny Arizona climate at the Hillenbrand Invitational. Its first game of the tournament will be Friday against Grand Canyon.

“I heard it’s like 70, 80 degrees there,” Bell said. “The pitchers always look really great when it’s hot weather. Everyone gets really warm, so yeah, I’m really excited. I think the team’s ready, and we look really good.”

No. 6 Alabama’s perfect start (5-0) will be challenged as it faces its first-ranked opponent of the season while playing in the invitational. On Saturday, the Crimson Tide will take on No. 22 Arizona.

“[We] haven’t gone to Arizona, but every year, we’re either No. 1 or No. 2 in attendance, and they’re No. 1 or No. 2, so it’s going to be a great atmosphere,” Murphy said. “I mean, they’ve had some of the best fans in college softball for years and years. They’ve won eight national championships. Other than Alabama, this is probably the place to be in terms of a fan, and we’re just looking forward to getting out there.”

(See also “Crimson Tide women’s sports dominate spring“)