Murphy has lineup options with 2014 infield

Alabama softball coach Patrick Murphy doesn’t have to scramble to fill the infield. He doesn’t suffer from a lack of athletes.

At first base, junior Jadyn Spencer and sophomore Leona Lafaele are viable options, Murphy said.

“That might be a spot where if both of them are hitting, one of them has to find another spot ‘cause they both have tremendous power,” Murphy said. “Leona was hitter of the day the first day of practice and just really got the barrel almost every single time she swung. Jadyn, though, has probably been the most consistent with the barrel, so if Leona raises her game, that’s a good problem to have for us.”

Murphy said offensive production will be a deciding factor in who plays.

“So one of those two, they need to be the kid that the pitcher kind of holds her breath when she throws it, and if both of them can do it, that would be even better for us,” Murphy said.

At second base, Murphy has been rotating four players: seniors Kaila Hunt and Ryan Iamurri and freshmen Peyton Grantham and Marisa Runyon.

“Ryan’s probably more of just a true second baseman, but the other ones, they can play second or short, and when we scrimmage preseason, we’ll put everybody in and mix them up. But it’s nice to have two seniors at second base, because it is a spot where they really have to think on their feet, and [it would] be cool to have one of those freshmen kind of step into that role next year,” Murphy said.

Murphy’s situation at shortstop is similar. Junior Danae Hays returned, but she isn’t his only option. He could rely on Hunt, Grantham or Runyon to play there, he said.

“Again that’s going to come down to a position that’s first, I think, that’s a defensive position, and then second, we can get some consistency offensively to make the routine plays and then hit .300,” Murphy said.

Hays has started to look more natural at short, Murphy said.

“Yeah, but I think she was a lot more consistent this fall for sure, but her work ethic is improved, and that’s something that I think everybody has recognized – just taking extra ground balls before and after, because that’s a position that you have to do that with.”

Completing the infield is another group of possible athletes at third base.

“Third, again a lot of competition,” Murphy said. “[Danielle Richard], Peyton, Runyon and who makes the routine play and who’s the most consistent. Dani made some really, really good plays last year and then wasn’t as consistent offensively. But there’s really – all three have – can do it. It’s just who’s going to step up.”