Oklahoma defense to rely on speed against Alabama

NEW ORLEANS — The Bedlam Rivalry lived up to its name on Dec. 7 when No. 11 Oklahoma stole then No. 6 Oklahoma State’s chance at a Big 12 Championship and a BCS bid with a 33-24 win.

The Sooners (10-2) received a BCS bid to play No. 3 Alabama (11-1) in the Allstate Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2 with that victory.

In a Sunday press conference, Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops called Alabama the most complete offense the Sooners have faced.

“They make you defend the football field a little differently than a lot of the teams we see in our conference so that physicality that they can play with along with their speed on the perimeter, their running backs, it’ll be a big challenge for our defense across the board,” Stoops said.

Stoops said Oklahoma’s defense is undersized compared to Alabama, but it will use its speed to create plays.

“There isn’t anything tricky about what [Alabama is] trying to do,” Stoops said. “They try to window dress their formations, but they’re going to come at you, and they’re going to run their zone plays, and they’re going to get a man on man and see if you can get to where you’re supposed to get.”

Alabama’s run has put up 2,544 yards on the season. Sophomore running backs T.J. Yeldon and Kenyan Drake lead the team with 1,163 and 694 net yards rushing, respectively.

“Those guys really pick their gaps wisely,” Oklahoma linebacker Eric Striker said. “They really don’t make much mistakes when it comes to picking their gaps, you know, they see one if it’s not open, see another not open, they’re take a squeeze right up in there so we’ve got to be in our gaps.”

The Crimson Tide averages 212 yards per game, 21st in the FBS. But Striker said he wouldn’t say Alabama’s offensive line is the best in the nation.

“They’re good offensive linemen,” Striker said. “We’ve faced good offensive linemen this year. They’re good though, they are good.”

Oklahoma’s defense has kept opponents to an average of 21.3 points per game. The Sooners are 3-2 this season when opponents scored more than 21.

“We’re going to line up and play defense,” Striker said. “We could play any offense. … It doesn’t matter what type of offense it is. We’re going to line up and play.”

The upcoming matchup against Alabama will be the most physical game Oklahoma has played all year, Stoops said.

“You know, I’m excited to play in a game like this,” Stoops said. “I say that now. I don’t know about come Thursday night about 11 I might not feel the same way because if you can’t stop the run, you can’t win.”