Club baseball team kicks off 3rd season

Most players on the Alabama club baseball squad turned down prospects of continuing their baseball careers on the varsity teams of Division 2 and 3 schools in favor of becoming students at the Capstone. Knowing there is no prospect of professional play, the members elected to focus on furthering their education, then think about baseball. So why continue to play baseball for the club team?

“It’s for the love of the game, basically,” sophomore infielder Anthony Cinello said.

The club baseball players pride themselves in the fact they are student athletes in the truest sense, ensuring involvement in the baseball team will not have any adverse effects on their education.

Practices are limited to four to six hours a week to allow the players to keep up with their studies, but extra time is also dedicated to community service. The club has only been around for two years, but the players have already completed projects of rebuilding a house and baseball field that were damaged by the tornado.

With limited funds provided by the University, the players themselves are responsible for many of the operational costs.

“It’s 100 percent student-run,” Vice President and Director of Operations Scottie Schmidt said. “We have to buy uniforms, pay rent to use somebody’s field. We’re not allowed to use the varsity field here. We have to pay for umpires. We have to pay for travel; we have to do everything on our own.”

Fundraising to provide for these necessities is a burden, but through letter campaigning by each player to 10 potential donors and the sale of club apparel, the team has been able to raise enough money to get by.

The Alabama club baseball team is heading into its third season and will attempt to build off of its first postseason run last year.

After a strong regular season effort, Alabama finished second in its conference and headed to Clemson, S.C., to compete in the playoffs. After an opening-round win over the University of South Carolina-Union, Alabama lost a tight game against eventual club baseball champion Kennesaw State University and fell in another close contest to end its season in a rematch against USCU.

Through the competition, practice, community service and fundraising, the players grow closer to one another and form their strongest friendships on campus.

“Everyone hangs out together. Your roommates and your best friends come from our team,” Schmidt said.