Intramural officials gain experience, pay

For students interested in alternative jobs, The University of Alabama’s intramural’s office doesn’t just offer team sports to students, they also offer job opportunities.

According to the intramural office’s website, the program employs more than 200 students in various positions, such as referees and officials. Students are able to choose which sport they want to officiate and set their own hours.

“The part that drew me into the job was that you set up your own hours,” said Jared Cornutt, a previous program assistant of officials from 2010-13 and recent UA graduate. “That ensures you can have a night off before a test if you need to study. Also, you don’t work on the weekends and never have to miss an Alabama football game.”

This semester, the intramural office is looking for officials for flag football, soccer, floor hockey and volleyball. Students are allowed to work more than one sport if they choose to be employed throughout the entire semester.

Besides having a knowledge of the game, Trace Stenz, a current program assistant of officials and senior majoring English, said officials should have or will learn good people skills.

“Being able to relate to the players, being able to have good game management and manage people and also get them to like you because you actually have to talk to them,” Stenz said is what it takes to be a referee.

Dana Jordan, a senior majoring in management and marketing, has been an intramural official since spring 2011. Constantly learning new things about her job, Jordan said she agrees with Stenz.

“During every game, you have to take responsibility for the management of the game, the calls and the possible controversy that comes with it,” Jordan said. “I have still not had a single night where I haven’t experienced, seen or heard something new. It is a constant learning experience that shouldn’t be taken for granted.”

Besides landing a job as an official, students have the opportunity to move up in the department and gain a pay raise. The longer you officiate, the better your chances of gaining a higher position will be, Cornutt said. He was able to move up to first supervisor and then a program assistant.

Other jobs that the intramurals office offers to students are event assistants, supervisors and program assistants.

“Like myself, most of my co-workers started as officials and worked their way up into an office position. Not only do you get the raise, that looks great on a resume,” Cornutt said.

If students are interested in officiating sports outside of the University, they can join the Intramural Officials Association. For a small fee, the UA intramural office will help you pay to become an official for high school or YMCA sports.

To become an intramural official, students should visit the intramurals tab on urec.sa.ua.edu and click on “IM Jobs.” There they will find a list of information sessions and dates that they can attend to learn more about jobs. All sessions will be held in the back room of the Recreation Center.