Alabama soccer team defeats Georgia State, falls to Mercer

The Alabama soccer team played two games this weekend, against Georgia State Friday night and Mercer Sunday night. The Crimson Tide succeeded Friday night, winning 2-0, but was unable to win Sunday night, losing 2-1.

Alabama started the weekend off strong, dominating Georgia State the entire game. Sophomore Merel Van Dongen scored both goals of the game.

Sixty-five minutes into the game, after constantly competing to control the ball, Van Dongen scored the first goal. Georgia State came back and tied the game five minutes later, sending the game into overtime.

During overtime, the Tide had a stroke of luck and was able to close out the game after three minutes. Georgia State was penalized, allowing Van Dongen to take the penalty shot to win the game. Coach Todd Bramble said he was pleased by the work that went into the game, and he looks forward to Sunday’s game.

“Hopefully, this game gives us confidence against Mercer,” Bramble said. “We just have to take care of details. Sunday games always test your depth a little more.”

The win against Georgia State increased Alabama’s aggression against Mercer, keeping the Bears constantly on their toes. Both teams fought for control of the ball throughout both halves, and Alabama had triple the shots on goal (21-7) compared to Mercer by the final whistle.

After Mercer scored its first goal four minutes into the half, Alabama started to play more defensively in hopes to score. The Crimson Tide had a hard time, letting Mercer score once more before the first half was over. Alabama scored during the second half but couldn’t tie it up.

“We knew we just needed one to get back in the game,” Van Dongen said. “[Once] we got the goal, everyone was feeling it. They got lucky every now and then, and unfortunately, we just didn’t score another one. We have to be the team to finish. You can’t afford those goals in the first half because then you get these kind of games that they defend and not play soccer.”

Alabama ended the weekend with 43 shots and three goals.

Senior Molly Atherton made history and is now the all-time shot leader with 165 shots.