Kicking positions secured with player experience

With football season coming up, The Crimson White will do a position-by-position breakdown of the Crimson Tide’s roster. In conclusion: specialists.

Who’s gone: Jeremy Shelley (undrafted NFL free agent), Carson Tinker (undrafted NFL free agent)

Who’s still here: Cody Mandell (senior), Cade Foster (senior), Adam Griffith (redshirt freshman)

Who’s new: Cole Mazza (three-star)

Standouts: Alabama will have a new primary placekicker in 2013 with the graduation of Jeremy Shelley. Cade Foster is 13-of-27 in field goals at Alabama with a career-long of 52 yards. Punter Cody Mandell set a school record in 2012 with a 44.3-yards per punt average, good for fifth in the SEC.

Outlook: Foster was listed as the first-team placekicker and kickoff specialist on the most recent depth chart. After being primarily the long- distance kicker the past three seasons, it appears Foster will handle the bulk of the duties this year. Should he have another 2011, though, Adam Griffith is a capable backup who was the nation’s No. 1 placekicker coming out of high school a year ago.

Mandell returns for his final season at Alabama. The former walk-on has played in 39 career games and, like Foster, is backed up by Griffith. Starting at long snapper after the departure of Carson Tinker is true freshman Cole Mazza, who was the No. 1 recruit at his position as well.