Intramural sports serve as means for students to get, stay active

For many students, intramural sports are a fun and easy way to get involved and stay active without a major time commitment. The University of Alabama Student Recreation Center offers a wide range of intramural sports for all students to join.

“I originally got involved in intramurals as a freshman with two of my friends just wanting to be active and play sports,” Kevin Penny, a senior majoring in advertising, said. “Intramurals have been a great way for me to stay active, have a good time playing sports and competing with my friends.”

Intramural Programs Coordinator Shelby Sims described intramurals as “competitive at heart, but recreational based.”

Thirty-two sports are offered throughout the year, and each season will last five weeks. There are four leagues students can join: general participation, greek organizations, honors and residential communities.

“We feel like we have something for everybody,” Sims said. “We have your team sports like basketball, flag football, soccer and softball, but we also have things called battleship, and no matter the skill level that you have in sports or athletic ability, anybody can do that.”

If students have not joined a team, they can sign up as free agents. As a free agent, the student is placed into a pool of other free agents, and teams that are looking for more team members can pick out new teammates. Sims said the intramurals office will also create teams out of the list of free agents.

“We are very flexible. A lot of our leagues you can choose when you want to play,” Sims said. “Once you pick the day of the week and time, then you are fixed at that time for the next five weeks.”

This fall, Quidditch will join the list of offered sports.

“We’re pretty excited about that,” Sims said. “We’ve had a hand in the development of it and the implementation the last three years.”

Information for registering can be found online at urec.ua.edu, or students can call the intramurals office at (205) 348-8055.