Yeldon leads talented running backs

With the football season coming up, The Crimson White will do a position-by-position breakdown of the Crimson Tide’s roster. Up next: running back.

Who’s gone: Eddie Lacy (NFL Draft)

Who’s still here: Jalston Fowler (junior), T.J. Yeldon (sophomore), Kenyan Drake (sophomore), Dee Hart (redshirt sophomore)

Who’s new: Derrick Henry (four-star), Altee Tenpenny (four-star), Alvin Kamara (four-star), Tyren Jones (four-star)

Standouts: Though last season’s rushing leader is gone, the Crimson Tide has a more than suitable replacement in T.J. Yeldon. In his freshman year, Yeldon gained 1,131 yards and 12 touchdowns, which tied Mark Ingram’s rookie touchdown mark. Jalston Fowler is also back after missing most of 2012 with a knee injury.

Outlook: With Lacy gone and Yeldon now the primary back, the revolving door of Crimson Tide ball carriers simply continues. After Yeldon’s season- defining touchdown against LSU, expect him to get the ball in space more often.

When Fowler’s not lining up at H-back, expect the bruiser to carry the rock in between the tackles in short-yardage situations or open up lanes for Yeldon. Dee Hart will see increased carries if he’s able to stay healthy, and many will be anxious to see prized recruit Derrick Henry on tahe field. Altee Tenpenny has drawn praise from Saban in the preseason and could get playing time early.