2013 wide receivers could be best in Bama history

With the football season coming up, The Crimson White will do a position-by-position breakdown of the Crimson Tide’s roster. Up next: wide receiver.

Who’s gone: Marvin Shinn (transfer), Danny Woodson Jr. (transfer)

Who’s still here: Kevin Norwood (senior), Kenny Bell (senior), Christion Jones (junior), DeAndrew White (redshirt junior), Amari Cooper (sophomore), Chris Black (redshirt freshman)

Who’s new: Robert Foster (five-star), Raheem Falkins (four-star), ArDarius Stewart (four-star)

Standouts: Amari Cooper totaled 1,000 yards and 11 touchdowns last year en route to a freshman All-American season. Kevin Norwood continued his trend of hauling in clutch passes, catching 29 throws for 461 yards and four touchdowns. Kenny Bell contributed 431 yards and three touchdowns before suffering an injury early in the Iron Bowl.

Outlook: Though the Crimson Tide coaching staff would protest otherwise, this year’s group of wide receivers could be the most talented crop Alabama has ever seen. After DeAndrew White went down with a season-ending injury against Ole Miss, Cooper stepped up and turned in a rookie campaign that statistically was better than that of Alabama star Julio Jones. The chemistry between AJ McCarron and Cooper visibly improved from week to week last season, and the 2013 preseason has shown flawless connections between the two.

The two seniors, Bell and Norwood, have been every bit as determined in 2013 as their first three seasons. Expect another solid year for both, with Norwood continuing to be the ace in the hole when it comes to big games. White will line up primarily in relief of Cooper but could also see time at the Z position. Christion Jones is listed as the starter at the slot position, but Chris Black has looked very quick and polished so far in 2013. Raheem Falkins will make an immediate impact when put on the field, and fellow freshman Robert Foster will enjoy similar success.