Make it or bake it

It’s one in the morning, finals week. Telophase and anaphase start to blur together as your head pounds and your stomach lets out a tremendous grumble. You need sustenance. Should you go to Taco Bell for the fourth time? Nah, don’t feel like driving. How about ordering Domino’s? Nope, ran out of Dining Dollars a long time ago. Well, you could always make something…

I think we’ve all been there. There’s a certain hunger, fatigue and frustration that only comes from a week dedicated to test giving. And while I can’t help you get an A on your Biology exam, I can share a few recipes that will make the night before a little less excruciating.

College students seem to fall into one of three categories when it comes to cooking: No stove, no food or no cooking skills. Whether one or all apply to you, no obstacle is too big to prevent you from making something delicious. The following recipes have simple ingredients, are easy to follow and don’t require an oven.

Easy Cheesy Microwave Dip – No oven? No problem!

Ingredients * 1 can Rotel® tomatoes (mild, original, or hot-up to you) * 1 8-oz package Velveeta® * 1 6-oz package sausage, optional

Directions 1. Cut Velveeta® into cubes 2. Pour Rotel® tomatoes into bowl with Velveeta® and place in microwave safe bowl. 3. Heat at 30 second intervals until Velveeta® is melted 4. For sausage, cook and drain according to package directions. Blend into Rotel® and Velveeta® mixture and enjoy!

Peanut Butter Fudge – A two ingredient fix for any late night sweet tooth. Servings: 16 pieces.

Ingredients 1 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting 1 (18 ounce) jar peanut butter (this recipe can be halved, quartered, etc.)

Directions 1. Empty entire jar of peanut butter in a mixing bowl. 2. Heat vanilla frosting in its container (make sure you pull off all the foil lining) in microwave in a microwave safe bowl for 60 seconds or until melted. 3. Pour the melted frosting in the bowl with the peanut butter and mix well. 4. Quickly pour the mixture into a pan, allow fudge to set, cut into small squares, and enjoy!

Monte Cristo Sandwich – For the daring and non-dorm bound (and for those who just want to procrastinate longer.) Servings: 4 sandwiches.

Ingredients * oil for frying * 2/3 cup water * 1 egg * 2/3 cup all-purpose flour * 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder * 1/2 teaspoon salt * 8 slices white bread * 4 slices Swiss cheese * 4 slices turkey * 4 slices ham * 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper * toothpicks * 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar for dusting

Directions 1. Heat 1-1 1/2 inches of oil in skillet on a cook-top. 2. While oil is heating, make the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and water. 3. In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper, then whisk into the egg mixture until smooth. Set aside in the refrigerator. 4. Drop a small amount of batter in oil to check if it’s ready. 5. Assemble sandwiches by placing one slice of turkey on one slice of bread, a slice of ham on another, then sandwich them with the Swiss cheese in the middle. 6. Cut sandwiches into quarters, and secure with toothpicks. 7. Dip each sandwich quarter in the batter so that all sides are coated. 8. Deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides. 9. Remove toothpicks and dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.