Tight end options abound in 2013 lineup

With the football season coming up, The Crimson White will do a position-by-position breakdown of the Crimson Tide’s roster. Up next: tight ends.

Who’s gone: Michael Williams (NFL Draft), Kelly Johnson (graduation)

Who’s still here: Brian Vogler (redshirt junior), Harrison Jones (redshirt junior), Corey McCarron (sophomore), Malcolm Faciane (redshirt sophomore), Kurt Frietag (redshirt freshman)

Who’s new: O.J. Howard (five-star), Brandon Greene (former offensive lineman)

Standouts: Brian Vogler will get his chance to start at this position, as he played in all 14 games and caught two passes for 21 yards. His athleticism will allow him to get down the field quicker than most tight ends for the Crimson Tide, opening up holes for T.J. Yeldon and company. O.J. Howard has looked lethal in preseason and could see time on the field in five-wide sets.

Analysis: After losing former H-back Kelly Johnson, Saban experimented with defensive lineman LaMichael Fanning and running back Jalston Fowler at the now-vacant position. Fanning has reverted back to the other side of the ball, but Saban keeps hinting at Fowler getting playing time at H-back. Fowler showed impressive pass-catching ability in preseason and could have that position all to himself by the end of the season. Expect second-year offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier to toy around with both tight end positions in the offensive schemes in 2013.