New Campus Mail Service, center more student friendly

Campus Mail ServiceWhere the Ferguson Center USPS post office used to be, now sits the new Ferguson Mail Center – open and offering a more efficient, personalized process for students.

Manager of Campus Mail Service Laura Rice said the University decided to make the change from USPS to Campus Mail Service because USPS was unable to provide necessary services. The P.O. boxes formerly in the Ferg Post Office have been moved to the downtown post office, Mail Operations Supervisor Tommy Robertson said.

“The USPS was not able to give the service the University wanted – students had to go elsewhere to receive UPS and FedEx packages,” Rice said. “All services are now available to be received at the Ferguson Mail Center; FedEx, UPS, USPS and DHL. We are a private entity and are not bound by USPS regulations in that respect.”

According to Campus Mail Service’s website, it offers three different services: intra-campus mail, Campus Courier and U.S. Postal Service.

Much like in years past, students are able to rent a mailbox in the Ferguson Center. Students who choose to rent from the Ferguson Mail Center have 24-hour access to their mail, only one address for both mail and packages, the ability to have their mail forwarded during the summer months, and will receive notifications when a package has been delivered.

Students can rent a mailbox for various lengths of time, ranging from a semester to a year. Mailbox rentals cost $50 for a semester and $125 for a year, according to the Campus Mail Service website.

Robertson said the services are designed to be better for students, including email alerts for package pickup

“All mailbox rentals can be purchased online through myBama. After logging in, students will find the link to mailbox rentals under the student tab.

Students who choose not to rent a mailbox will still be able to have their packages delivered to the Ferguson Mail Center without an extra trip to Paty Hall, as was the case in the past.

Each student is issued an active mail stop code, or MSC, at the start of the fall semester. The MSC is a six-digit number that is individualized for each student on campus and used to ensure his or her mail is properly delivered.

Robertson said the new Campus Mail Service offers a more organized method for sending and receiving packages.

The prior mail and package process resulted in many packages delivered to the wrong location and confusion among students and organizations about addresses to use when receiving mail, Rice said.