LB Trey DePriest suspended for a “short time,” Amari Cooper injury update

Junior linebacker Trey DePriest has been suspended for a violation of team rules, coach Nick Saban announced after Tuesday’s practice. No specific time frame was mentioned, but Saban said DePriest could be back “in as short as a week.”

“He’ll be eligible to return to the team if he does what he’s supposed to do in relatively short order,” Saban said.

DePriest was second to CJ Mosley in tackles last season with 59 total and one pass defended. The Springfield, Ohio, native started every game but one in 2012 at the “mike” inside linebacker position.

The news concerning DePriest comes at the same time as the announcement that Malcolm Faciane is now back with the team. Faciane, a redshirt sophomore tight end, served a 30-day suspension and is now completing his five-day acclimation period, Saban said.

Saban also addressed a few injuries, including sophomore wide receiver Amari Cooper, who was wearing a black non-contact jersey after sitting out drills at practice Monday.

“Amari Cooper has got a strain in his foot,” Saban said. “He’s gonna be out for a few days, and then he will be day-to-day. I don’t think he’s going to be hurt for a long time; I don’t think he’s going to be out for a long time.”

Another ailment Saban discussed was the injury to senior cornerback Deion Belue, who has been bothered by a nagging hamstring.

“We’re trying to nurse him along so he doesn’t have another setback,” Saban said. “His hamstring was something he had during the summertime. He got okay, started camp, and it bothered him again, so were trying to get it healed up.”

In other news, Saban talked about the experiment with tackle Brandon Greene practicing with the tight ends in order to add more size to the position group. He also said Austin Shepard, who has been working at right tackle, is being shuffled in to the left guard position occasionally.