Tide signs 2012 Canadian Olympian Dominique Pegg

University of Alabama gymnastics head coach Sarah Patterson announced Monday that Canadian Olympian Dominique Pegg has signed with the Crimson Tide for the 2014 season. Pegg will be a part of the incoming freshman class this year.

“We’re very excited to have [Dominique] joining us this fall for the 2014 season,” Patterson said. “She has been on our radar for quite a while, and this is a very happy conclusion to a long process. She is an extremely gifted athlete who has competed at the highest level and will help us continue our goal of competing for championships on a yearly basis.”

Hailing from Sarnia, Ontario, Pegg has had her fair share of tough competitions, including the 2012 London Olympics. The Canadian Olympic team finished fifth in London, the first time in history the team made event finals. Pegg also finished 17th in the Olympic all-around final.

Since the age of 2, Pegg has been a part of the gymnastics world. Her strongest event is the vault. She was coached by David and Elizabeth Brubaker at the Bluewater Gymnastics Club. During her time at Bluewater, Pegg traveled the world competing in multiple countries.

In 2010, Pegg competed in Rotterdam, Holland, for Canada’s World Championship team. She also competed on the 2012 Pacific Rim Championship team, winning the vault and finishing eighth all-around.

During the 2012 Canadian National Championships, she earned silver in the senior all-around as well as bronze in both the balance beam and the vault.

Since signing with Alabama, Pegg will be able to compete in the SEC and NCAA championships in 2014. Both championships will be held in Birmingham, Ala.

“I really think it’s quite a blessing that I get to come and not only go to school at The University of Alabama but also represent them by doing what I love,” Pegg said. “I had an amazing time competing with my team at the 2012 Olympics, but it is time for a new chapter in my life.”

Pegg is one of many seasoned gymnasts to join the Crimson Tide. Other incoming gymnasts include 2011 USA Junior Olympic national all-around and floor exercise champion Katie Bailey, four-year member of the United States National Team Amanda Jetter and USA Junior Olympic qualifier Mary Lillian Sanders.