Justin Thomas announces he will be leaving Alabama, turning pro after tournament in September

Ending weeks of speculation, now-former Crimson Tide golfer Justin Thomas decided Tuesday to forgo his final two years of eligibility and enter the PGA Tour after he competes in the Walker Cup in early September.

Thomas announced via his Twitter account at 8:01 a.m. CT that he planned to go pro.

“Very excited to say I’m turning pro after the Walker Cup in September,” the tweet read. “Can’t wait to play against the best week in and week out!”

Thomas won the Haskins Award, which is awarded to the nation’s top collegiate golfer, in 2012 as a freshman. In addition to winning SEC Golfer of the Year as a freshman, Thomas became the second Alabama golfer to earn First-Team All-American honors more than once in his collegiate career.

The Goshen, Ky., native came into his career at the Capstone as one of the top recruits of the 2011 class. Coming to fruition almost immediately, Thomas won his first career event as a member of the Crimson Tide. He would go on to capture six individual events overall, an Alabama record.

As a sophomore, Thomas was instrumental in the Crimson Tide’s first men’s golf national championship in school history. He finished his amateur career at below -39.

Acknowledging his time with fellow Tide golfers and head coach Jay Seawell, Thomas also had this to tweet: “I’ll always be a part of @AlabamaMGolf and love my teammates. Gonna miss @jcwellbamagolf and the guys, best memories of my life! #bamagolf.”

Having made three of four cuts as an amateur in the PGA Tour thus far, Thomas’ most recent endeavor came in the John Deere Classic, where he missed the cut by only one stroke. Last month, Thomas finished T-30th at the PGA Traveler’s Championship.