Mark Ingram hosts Tuscaloosa football camp

Former Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram returned to Tuscaloosa Saturday to host the Mark Ingram Football ProCamp at Tuscaloosa County High School. More than 350 kids ages 7-14 participated in various stations, specializing in the fundamental skills of the sport. Ingram spoke briefly to the media when he arrived at the event.

Q: What is it like coming back to Tuscaloosa and running this camp?

A: It’s always good to come back to Tuscaloosa, just to be able to have the camp for the kids and to be able to give back to the community – a place that was so good to me and so supportive of me during my time and experience. Just to give this opportunity back to the children, that means a lot to me.

Q: Do you see yourself in some of these kids out here today?

A: Definitely. They’re just having fun. They’re doing something that they love to do. I love playing [football] – that’s why I started playing it, and I still love playing it. I definitely see myself in them. Hopefully, someday they’ll go out and achieve their dreams, whether it’s to be a coach or a football player or a doctor, whatever. Hopefully they can achieve it.

Q: How are you feeling going into your third season with the New Orleans Saints?

A: I’m feeling good for the whole team. I’ve been training hard this offseason. I’m looking forward to having a good year this year.

Q: What’s going to be the biggest difference having Coach Sean Payton back?

A: We’ve got our guy back, the commander-in-chief. We’ve got him back. Everybody’s excited about that. We should benefit a lot from him being back.

Q: How would you assess your first two years in the league?

A: They’ve been good. I’ve been getting better every year. I battled some injuries in my first year. I was healthy all year last year. I’ve just got to continue to work harder each and every year.

Q: Thoughts on this year’s running backs at Alabama?

A: They’ve just got to keep it up. T.J. [Yeldon]’s a phenomenal back. Jalston [Fowler]’s a phenomenal back. Kenyan [Drake] is a phenomenal back. And they’ve got some young guys that came in. Derrick Henry, who broke his leg, he’s good too. They’re just keeping it up. It’s going to be another great year in the backfield.

Q: How proud are you to be the only Heisman Trophy winner in Alabama history?

A: I’m happy to have it. All the tradition and victories and accolades that have come through Alabama and not have a Heisman Trophy, to just be able to fill that void and represent all of Alabama nation, I’m proud to hold that title.

Q: Do you still keep in touch with Trent Richardson?

A: Yeah. He, Eddie [Lacy] and I went out not too long ago for an autograph signing. We keep in touch.