ESPN 150 quarterback David Cornwell commits to Alabama

The Crimson Tide football team snagged its 11th commitment June 14 in ESPN 150 quarterback David Cornwell. Cornwell is the No. 2 pocket-passing quarterback in the 2014 recruiting class and the No. 34 overall rated player, according to ESPN.com.

The Norman, Okla., prospect finally chose the Crimson Tide after several previous visits to Tuscaloosa. Cornwell said Alabama was the right choice for him all along.

“I felt at home, loved the coaching staff and knew I could trust them with my future as a player,” Cornwell said. “Coach [Nick] Saban can develop me the best mentally.”

Cornwell threw for 2,742 yards and rushed for 755 more with 33 total touchdowns in his junior season at Norman North High School. He only threw eight interceptions.

ESPN’s Greg Ostendorf, who covers the Southeast and Alabama’s recruiting, said Cornwell reminded him and his colleagues of NFL quarterbacks Joe Flacco and Ben Roethlisberger.

“He’s [6 feet 5 inches], 235 pounds and has looked college-ready from day one,” Ostendorf said. “However, he’s agile for his size. He can move around the pocket well. He has quick feet and a quick release [and] a good arm.”

Cornwell will step in and compete with the quarterbacks already on campus in the task of replacing three-year starter AJ McCarron after the upcoming season. However, freshman Alec Morris seems to be slated as the favorite to rise to starter status, and three freshmen were signed in the 2013 class. But Cornwell has shown he has the tools and size to make an impact on Alabama’s roster as soon as he arrives at the University.

“I think from a talent standpoint, he’s right on par with all of those guys,” Ostendorf said. “He’s graduating early and enrolling in January, which is going to help him a lot; he’ll be there next spring. And the coaches have said that he has the chance to come in and potentially play right away, and you don’t see that very often with a true freshman starting at quarterback.”

Cornwell is also helping the Crimson Tide on the recruiting trail. He said he will try and use his commitment as a lure to persuade other top prospects to join him in Tuscaloosa.

“I’d love to help out and recruit players,” Cornwell said. “The coaches have laid a great foundation, and I’m just trying to help push [players] to the commitment. I feel like we will have another blue chip recruiting class this year.”

Since Cornwell committed Friday, ESPN 150 wide receiver Derek Kief and center J.C. Hassenauer have also verbally committed to Alabama. Ostendorf said since Cornwell is destined to be at the University in 2014, other players will follow.

“I’ve already talked to a couple of wide receivers who have said that bringing in a guy like David Cornwell is a huge asset to them, or it’s big for their recruitment just because they know they have a guy that can throw the ball to them,” Ostendorf said. “All of these receivers want to go to a school that has a good quarterback in the class, and Alabama now has that.”