Indictment unveils Devonta Pollard’s role in kidnapping

Alabama men’s basketball player Devonta Pollard was arrested Tuesday, June 4, in Kemper County, Miss., and charged with conspiracy to commit an offense in relation to an earlier kidnapping that occurred April 30, according to the Kemper County Sheriff’s Office.

Sheriff James R. Moore confirmed in a telephone interview that it was Pollard who faced the charges.

Pollard, 18, served as a driver for one of the six other suspects accused of arranging the kidnapping, according to a grand jury indictment filed last week in a Mississippi U.S. District Court.

The rising sophomore forward was one of seven people arrested on charges connected with the kidnapping of Jashayla Hopson. However, only six individuals appeared in court before U.S. Magistrate Judge Keith Bell on Wednesday, June 5.

Hopson, 6, was originally reported missing on April 30, and it was Pollard’s mother, Jesse Mae Brown Pollard, who was initially charged with the kidnapping of the young girl from East Kemper Elementary School.

Devonta Pollard’s mother is currently in federal custody and will be arraigned at a later date, according to the indictment. If convicted of the charges against her, she faces a maximum penalty of life in prison and a $750,000 fine.

Along with Devonta Pollard and his mother, Wanda Dancy, Shamarius Ruffin, Joyce Johnigan, Shaquayla Johnigan and James Johnigan were also arrested in connection with the kidnapping. Devonta Pollard and the other five suspects face a maximum penalty of five years in jail and a $250,000 fine each if proven guilty.

A trial date for this case has been set for Aug. 6 before U.S. District Judge William H. Barbour Jr.

The former five-star recruit had not been working out with the Crimson Tide men’s basketball team since the season’s end, and he was supposedly contemplating transferring to East Mississippi Community College.

In 2012, Devonta Pollard averaged 3.9 points, 3.1 rebounds and 0.6 assists per game in his freshman season. He started in eight games for head coach Anthony Grant.