A cappella concert subject to entertain

Brian Skoog, a senior and director of Subject to Change, said the group consists of eight members and was founded in the fall of 2005 during his freshman year by UA alumnus Stephen Rotz. During its first two years, the group could not decide on a name.

“Everywhere we’d go, we would decide on a name that never stuck. It was always something different. Sometimes [the venues] would just give us names,” Skoog said.

“When I took over [as director] in 2007, we decided on the name Subject to Change,” he said.

Skoog said the group is often hired for parties.

“We have sung at a lot of banquets and things like that. For example, last year, we were asked to sing for Coach Gene Stallings and hundreds of guests at the dedication of Johnny Stallings Drive, which was in front of the Rise School,” he said.

Stephen Swain, a graduate student and Subject to Change bass singer, said the group never focuses on one type of music and that their performance will appeal to a wide variety of musical tastes.

“We really try to go for a variety of genres, from Scottish folk songs, to R&B music, to video game tunes from Mario World 1-1 and Final Fantasy,” Swain said. The group will also be performing well-known songs such as “Hymn of Faith” and Will Ferrell’s “Anchorman” version of Starland Vocal Band’s “Afternoon Delight.”

Skoog said everyone will enjoy the group’s performance.

“We’re billing it as a multimedia extravaganza because, in addition to music, our concert will feature video presentations, comedy and giveaways,” Skoog said. “It’s just a little bit of everything -video game music, The Eagles, Shaggy’s ‘Angel’ and Fleet Foxes to name a few, and comedy skits.”

Tuesday night’s performance will also feature an opening act called Rhythmx, a group consisting of eight 10th, 11th and 12th grade boys from the choir program at Mortimer Jordan High School in Morris, Ala., said Jon O’Rourke, a senior and Subject to Change bass singer.

“They are going to sing ‘Change the World,’ which was originally performed by Eric Clapton, and ‘Ain’t No Sunshine,’ which was originally performed by Bill Withers,” O’Rourke said.

This will be the group’s final performance of the year.

“I guarantee that you will leave with a smile on your face,” Skoog said.