Trevor Lacey gains release to transfer from Alabama

With the transfer of rising junior guard Trevor Lacey, The University of Alabama has lost another experienced men’s basketball player. Lacey announced his intent to leave the University Tuesday afternoon.

Lacey was the only Crimson Tide player to start all 36 games for head coach Anthony Grant in the 2012-2013 season.

“I enjoyed having the opportunity to coach Trevor for the two years he was here,” Grant said. “We certainly wish him the best of luck as he continues to pursue his education and his basketball career.”

The Huntsville, Ala., native averaged 11.3 points per game last season and led the team in assists per game (3.2), as well as 3-pointers made (62) and attempted (166).

Lacey said a lot of time went into the decision to leave the University for another institution.

“It was a family decision to pursue other opportunities,” Lacey said. “This definitely was not an easy decision to make.”

Lacey joined the Tide as a five-star prospect and was ranked as the 24th overall prospect in the nation in 2011. He was named Mr. Basketball for the state of Alabama twice in his career at Butler High School.

During his two seasons at the University, Lacey appeared in 69 games, making 52 starts. He averaged 9.3 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game in his two-year career.

“It’s been great at Alabama during my two years,” Lacey said. “It was tough my freshman year, coming off surgery and having to work my way back. I wanted to improve during my sophomore season, and I thought I did that. I want to thank the coaches and staff, my teammates and all the fans for their support.”

But Lacey isn’t the only Alabama player to transfer this offseason. Rising senior Moussa Gueye also decided to spurn the Tide and play elsewhere in his last year of eligibility.

“I really enjoyed my time at Alabama,” Gueye said. “People have been very supportive during my two years here. Since I have my degree, I just decided I wanted to leave and try and continue to get better. I love my coaches and teammates – they helped me get better. I have nothing but great memories here, and I am grateful for my decision to come to The University of Alabama.”

Gueye averaged 3.9 rebounds per game in his 2012-13 campaign and led the team with 52 blocked shots.

The departures of Lacey and Gueye leave Grant with 11 scholarship players for the 2013-14 season. The Tide added four bodies in this year’s recruiting class, including transfers Ricky Tarrant and Algie Key.

“We are very excited to have Ricky and Algie join our program,” Grant said. “They both have the character, work ethic and talent that we look for in our student-athletes. What also impressed me about these young men is they really wanted to be a part of what we are building here at The University of Alabama. They will be a great addition to our basketball program and university community.”

But newly acquired Tulane transfer Tarrant will have to sit out next season, leaving 10 scholarship players on Alabama’s roster.

Lacey leaves a void at the shooting guard position, while Gueye stepped up, after an injury to fellow center Carl Engstrom, and started 27 games for the Tide.

The loss of Lacey and Gueye will be a challenge Grant and his coaching staff have to overcome in terms of managing the depth of this new team.