Highly recruited Strohmeyer a solid anchor for Tide

The University of Alabama men’s golf team has its usual headliners, including sophomore Justin Thomas and juniors Cory Whitsett and Bobby Wyatt, who are all currently ranked in the collegiate top 10. However, there is one golfer who has been at the University longer than any of those three, and he comes from the least likely of places.

One of only two seniors, Scott Strohmeyer has had the opportunity to witness Alabama’s meteoric rise to the elite ranks of collegiate golf. Just as he has an eye for the ball, he had an eye on the Crimson Tide’s potential when he was being recruited out of none other than Auburn High School.

“I was very heavily recruited by Auburn to be on their golf team,” Strohmeyer said. “In fact, I actually lived next door to Auburn’s golf coach. I still was just attracted to Alabama from the start, with the way they do things and the potential they had.”

Coming out of high school, Strohmeyer was raw. He had a reputation for being somewhat of a long hitter, at times perhaps too long. He was redshirted his first season at Alabama in 2008-09. Strohmeyer saw more action as the seasons progressed and proved to be the team’s most critical component in last year’s NCAA championship run.

Alabama was in a bind. Having conceded a few individual pairings earlier in the tournament, the Tide needed Strohmeyer to pull through – or face elimination. Holding on to a 2-stroke lead with only two holes to play, Strohmeyer had just come off a 20-foot putt to remain at par. Clinching the individual win would advance Alabama to the semifinals, and that’s just what he did, birdying the 17th hole with a 3-foot putt.

“That was definitely the most nervous I’ve ever been, on a golf course or anywhere,” Strohmeyer said. “It was an unbelievable feeling to do that for the team. I’ll remember that for the rest of my life.”

Cracking the starting lineup this year, Strohmeyer finished third individually in the Aggie Invitational, one of the best finishes of his career. Despite his seniority and success, Strohmeyer prefers the humble, modest route.

“I don’t really get too loud or anything,” he said. “I’m usually pretty soft-spoken. I try to lead by example.”

Head coach Jay Seawell agreed with his sentiments, adding that Strohmeyer usually lets his clubs – more specifically, his drivers – do the talking.

“It’s been just great seeing [Strohmeyer] improve since he’s been here,” Seawell said. “He’s progressed so much since his freshman year. You might not see a college player hit the ball like he does. I would definitely call his play aggressive.”

Last year saw the Crimson Tide finish second in the nation. This year, Strohmeyer is out to finish what he and everyone else on the team started.

“To win the championship my last year here would definitely be the perfect ending,” Strohmeyer said. “If we keep doing what we’re doing, stay consistent and keep tightening up all around, we could finish first this year. That’s the ultimate goal.”