Serious injuries provide bounce-back opportunities, inspiration

Type in Kevin Ware on Google and the first three suggestions read off in gut-wrenching fashion: Kevin Ware injury, Kevin Ware injury video, Kevin Ware broken leg.

In the first half of Louisville’s Elite Eight matchup against Duke on Saturday, Ware, a sophomore guard, made a leaping attempt to block a three-pointer by Duke’s Tyler Thornton. He landed awkwardly on his right leg and suffered a grisly compound fracture, an injury so severe and traumatizing, his own teammates became physically ill, vomiting on the bench and physically kneeling over on the court.

Even head coach Rick Pitino was not bereft of emotion, wiping away tears as his player was carted off, trainers holding the young athlete’s head back so he would be spared the horrific sight.

Alabama fans almost immediately likened the injury to one of their own, Tyrone Prothro, a former Tide receiver who went down against Florida in 2005. However, Ware’s injury came right on the heels of a football player’s re-emergence from an injury that also received national attention.

That player is Marcus Lattimore, former standout running back for the South Carolina Gamecocks.

After Lattimore dislocated his knee in an injury nearly as gruesome as Ware’s, people close to the situation did not seem optimistic. After all, he had missed much of the 2011 season to a torn ACL, and Lattimore’s hopes of one day playing football again seemed to be a dream.

Even South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier struggled to give a positive outlook on his football aspirations.

“He’s going to do wonderful things,” Spurrier said. “I don’t know what field of life.”

Lattimore underwent several months of intense rehab, trying as hard as any human being could to regain his strength and skill set he knew he once had. Birmingham’s own James Andrews praised his recovery, and even hinted that Lattimore might be able to perform a few workouts at South Carolina’s pro day in late March.

Finally, March 27 came, and out trotted a confident Marcus Lattimore. Under the advice of team doctors, Lattimore completed a limited workout routine, performing 15 minutes of agility drills and catching several passes outside from his quarterback.

In acknowledgement of the unbelievable progress the young man had made, Lattimore received an emotional round of applause from NFL scouts in attendance, something veterans of the trade admitted was unprecedented.

Marcus Lattimore wasn’t there to wow future employers with his ability. He didn’t go out there to make cocky statements about how good he thinks he is. He did what he did to prove that with hard work, determination and support from the right people, anything can be accomplished.

Those same lessons can be applied here in Ware’s situation. The student-athlete has received an overwhelming amount of support, garnering tweets from LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Lil Wayne and countless others.

There is no denying that Ware has a long and painful recovery ahead of him. Even after March Madness ends, we as sports fans must lift him up and give him encouragement.

And after witnessing him go down while giving it all for his passion and teammates, Kevin Ware deserves nothing less.