Saban: ‘He sets the table, has served us well’

University of Alabama football coach Nick Saban has deep ties to Mal Moore, who stepped down from his position as athletics director Wednesday. Moore hired Saban and has overseen numerous football facilities upgrades including the addition of seating in the south end zone of Bryant-Denny Stadium and a new state-of-the-art weight room.

“He is somebody that I have a tremendous amount of respect for,” Saban said. “First of all, for giving us the opportunity to come to The University of Alabama, the great job that he did in selling us on this university and what could be done here.

“He certainly deserves a tremendous amount of credit for any success that we have had because of the way he sets the table and has served us so well.”

Saban said Moore’s influence on athletics and the campus at Alabama has made developed it into a first-class program.

“I think most things that you would stand here and look around and see, he has had some hand in making all the athletic facilities what they are, and I think first class in so many ways,” Saban said. “But more than that, he’s a class gentleman, probably as fine as you’re ever going to meet, and has certainly been a great friend.”

The athletic department plans to name Moore’s successor, “as quickly as possible.” Saban said he does not have a part in deciding who will fill the void Moore has left.

“That’s not my decision,” Saban said. “We have really, really good people here. Chancellors, presidents, other people in the athletic department, people on the board, who I have every faith, trust and confidence will make an outstanding decision as to what’s best for The University of Alabama. My part of it will be to do everything I can to make it work with whoever that individual is.

“I’m not going to call the chancellor and ask him what call to make on third down.”

But Saban said he is happy for what Moore has accomplished and wishes him the best.

“I’m happy for him,” Saban said. “I’ll be most happy for him if he can get healthy and be around here with us. But I’m going to miss him.”