Athletes’ GPA keeps up UA’s standard

As most movies or TV shows go, Hollywood always belittles college athletes. It is popular to assume that because Alabama is an athletically dominated school, the Capstone would be a part of the stereotypical average and harbor sub-par athletes as well as assume the University prides itself more on athletics than it does on grades. Contrary to popular belief, many of the athletic programs pride themselves on their high grade point averages as well as their accomplishments during their events.

For example, when a gymnastics meet first begins, the announcer says the team has a cumulative average of a 3.55 GPA for the fall of 2012. And that is just the start of this current school year. The team has averaged above a 3.0 for more than 10 years.

Gymnastics is not alone in the goal for a high GPA. Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving team earned CSCAA All-America Team honors award for having an average above a 3.0. The women are ranked second in the country with a team average of 3.57. The men have an average of 3.08.

Most of the coaches strive to make sure their teams are both well educated and active throughout their time here at the University.

At the beginning of last term, Alabama released a statement stating that more than 525 athletes had a 3.0 or better, and five teams had a cumulative average about a 3.5. GPAs like that aren’t easy to come by.

The softball program averages a 3.56, which is ranked No. 7 in Division 1 softball. The softball team’s head coach, Patrick Murphy, said the team had their priorities in the right places even with a national championship win.

The stigma that athletes don’t go to school to learn, but go to school to play doesn’t seem to be the case here. The University reported 48 athletes had a 4.0 GPA.

Having athletes not only care about their sport but care about their grades has helped the University out in many ways. Alabama leads in the SEC for the number of All-America honors for having 106 honors and places No. 13 in Division 1 schools.

The high level of excellence proves that though Alabama is an athletic force to be reckoned with, it is also a school that produces intellectual athletes. Hollywood’s ‘dumb’ athletes aren’t found here in Tuscaloosa because coaches expect students to excel in their studies.

Alabama’s mission statement states the University wants to “advance the intellectual and social condition of the people.” By listing off an athlete’s GPA, the school helps inspire students to become more focused on school.

Freshman duo make an impact for women’s team

Tin Top Restaurant and Oyster Bar trades beach atmosphere for quality seafood

Kentuck adds metal-working workshop to Art Night