Former Alabama golfer wins first PGA event

Former Alabama golfer Michael Thompson shot a final-round 69 on Sunday to claim his first PGA Tour victory at the 2013 Honda Classic at PGA National.

“I am so proud of Michael,” Alabama head golf coach Jay Seawell said after Thompson’s victory. “He has worked so hard and this is a great moment for him and his wife Rachel. He has always represented Alabama golf with class.”

Thompson, a native of Tucson, Ariz., and a current resident of Birmingham, Ala., finished at 9-under-par 271 to edge Geoff Ogliv by two shots. Thompson birdied the final hole with a brilliant long bunker shot that left him with a 3-foot birdie putt to seal the win.

“I wanted to just stick to a game plan just like I’ve been saying all week,” Thompson told PGAtour.com. “This week was magical, just find a groove, keep believing.”

Thompson was a finalist at the 2007 U.S. Amateur and the low amateur at the 2008 U.S. Open while playing for Alabama. He then posted his previous-low finish on the PGA Tour at the 2012 U.S. Open, finishing tied for second behind Webb Simpson.

Sunday’s win earns Thompson 500 FedEx Cup points and moved him into 11th place in the standings. The win also gets him into next week’s World Golf Championship event in Miami, Fla., on the TPC Blue Monster Course at Doral.

Freshman Hakansson breaks school record in men’s weight throw

Local six-piece band’s album to include graphic novel

Senior Alexis Paine breaks 3rd UA record in women’s pole vault