Freshman Hakansson breaks school record in men’s weight throw

Alabama freshman Elias Hakansson broke the school record in the weight throw Friday night at the LSU Indoor Invitational in Baton Rouge, La. The Halmstad, Sweden, native won the event by more than four feet with a best effort of 67 feet, 6 1/2 inches (20.28 meters).

Hakansson’s winning throw bettered his previous school record by exactly 9 inches, a toss of 66-9 1/4 that he made back on Feb. 9 in Lincoln, Neb., at the Mark Colligan Memorial.

“Elias had a fantastic series with all of his legal throws over 20 meters,” said UA assistant coach Doug Reynolds, who oversees the Crimson Tide throwers. “It sets him up well for the outdoor hammer throw. He has really shown his potential this indoor season. It will be a close call as to whether or not he gets in [to the NCAA meet], but I am extremely pleased with how he is progressing. And that’s our goal, to be consistently improving. I couldn’t be prouder of him.”

Hakansson’s six-attempt series was the best of his career to this point. After fouling on his first attempt, Hakansson unleashed five consecutive throws of more than 20 meters highlighted by his record effort on his third attempt of the series. Now Hakansson, the only Alabama athlete competing in the meet that served as a “last chance” qualifying competition, will await the determination of the field of competitors for next weekend’s NCAA Indoor Championships, to be held next Friday and Saturday, March 8-9, in Fayetteville, Ark.

Tide closes season with losing streak 

After tournament victories, softball team to face first ranked team Wednesday

Women’s tennis team downs Mississippi, continues winning streak