Tide still undefeated after routing Bulldogs 11-0 in 5 innings

The Alabama softball team routed Samford 11-0 Wednesday in front of a crowd of 2,602 people. It was the still-undefeated Tide’s 17th win this season. Leslie Jury pitched a one-hitter through five innings.

After Samford’s first three batters failed to get on base, Alabama opened up in the bottom of the first with a lead-off single from Kayla Braud. Haylie McCleney grounded out on a fielder’s choice to the Samford pitcher and advanced Braud to second base. Kaila Hunt hit a double down the third base line, allowing Braud to score. Jackie Traina hit a single into shallow centerfield, and Hunt scored to put the Tide up 2-0 at the end of the first.

Samford again failed to score in the top of the second inning. The Tide racked up three runs in the bottom of the second when McCleney reached on error allowing Jackey Branham and Braud to score. Hunt batted in McCleney to make it 5-0.

After Jury retired the side in the third, Alabama chased the Bulldogs’ pitcher, Mollie Hanson, after loading the bases with one out. Samford walked in two runs bringing the score to 7-0 after three.

Alabama racked up four more runs in the fourth inning after Danae Hays reached second on an error, sending pinch-runner Andrea Hawkins home. Third baseman Danielle Richard celebrated her 20th birthday in style with a two-run home-run. Then, pinch hitter Molly Fichtner doubled in Chaunsey Bell. Alabama put the final points on the board in the Tide’s 11-0 victory over the Bulldogs.

Samford tried to rally in the top of the fifth inning after Caitlin Bice singled with one out to end Jury’s no-hitter. The next two batters grounded out in the infield to end the game.

Head coach Patrick Murphy had nothing but praise for Jury’s performance.

“She’s used to winning,” Murphy said. “There used to be a tentativeness and a passiveness. Especially when she would get behind in the count or someone would hit her. Now, it’s not a big deal. Someone gets the first hit, she’ll come back and get the next two.”

The sophomore pitcher improved to 6-0 this year with a 1.17 ERA.

“I’m just working hard every day, and we’re playing great defense behind me,” Jury said. “We’re just continuing to do well as a team and shut people out.”

Alabama will now prepare to play five games in three days. Thursday at 5 p.m. the Tide will play a make-up game against the University of South Alabama before hosting Iowa State University and St. John’s University in the Easton Classic this weekend.

“South Alabama will be one of the best if not the best team we’ve faced all year. I know they’re going to be ready for us. We’ve got to be prepared. The same with Iowa State and St. John’s,” Murphy said. “I think the longer someone stays around with you the more confident they’re going to get. We want to put people away early.”

After her two-run home run, Danielle Richard said she was looking forward to the tournament this weekend.

“It’s a challenge. Bring it on, that’s all I’m saying,” Richard said. “We live for the challenge. So if you’re going to be here, you’re going to expect the challenge to come at you and take it on.”

The Tide will play Iowa State Friday at 3:30 p.m. and Saturday at 4 p.m., then face St. John’s Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

Crimson Tide weight room gets $9 million makeover

Feel-good sports stories allow escape

US athletes are no longer diplomats