McCleney named SEC Freshman of the Week, Bama Bash MVP

For the second time in three weeks, Alabama outfielder Haylie McCleney has been named the Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week.

McCleney also led the team in hits and runs scored for the third consecutive week. The Morris, Ala., native batted .611 (11-for-18) with nine runs, two doubles, a home run, nine RBIs and four stolen bases.

McCleney was named the Easton Bama Bash tournament MVP. She had four multi-hit performances in the six-game week, including three games with three hits. The rookie scored at least one run and reached base in all but one game.

In the Bama Bash opener, McCleney batted 3-for-3, scored four runs, drove in six and hit a home run against Western Illinois. McCleney opened the week with a 3-for-4 outing at the plate against UAB, then posted another three-hit day against Iowa.

After three weeks, McCleney is batting .604 with 24 runs, 32 hits, three home runs, 14 RBIs and 15 stolen bases.

Alabama will play six games in four days this week, all at Rhoads Stadium. The Crimson Tide will open the week against Samford on Wednesday, Feb. 27, before playing its make-up game against South Alabama on Thursday. The Tide will then welcome Iowa State and St. John’s for the Easton Classic this weekend.

[Opinion] University should not reward police overreach

[Opinion] UA smoking ban debate founded on falsehoods

[Opinion] Differences between American and English universities must be recognized