Kayla Braud recognized as Senior Class Award Candidate

Alabama outfielder Kayla Braud, from Eugene, Ore., was named one of 30 NCAA softball student-athletes who excel both on and off the field as candidates for the 2013 Senior CLASS Award in collegiate softball on Wednesday.

To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition. The complete list of candidates follows this release.

An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School, the Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities.

The candidate class will be narrowed to 10 finalists midway through the regular season, and those names will be placed on the official ballot. Ballots will be distributed through a nationwide voting system to media, coaches and fans, who will select one finalist.

The Senior CLASS Award winner will be announced during the 2013 NCAA Women’s College World Series in Oklahoma City May 30 through June 5.

Alabama will open its home portion of the schedule when it hosts the Easton Bama Bash presented by Drash. Alabama will open tournament play on Friday, Feb. 22, against Western Illinois at 4 p.m.