UA Freshman Forum collects school supplies to benefit local kids

Freshman Forum members have teamed up to better the community through Civic Engagement Projects, which includes a school supplies drive for a local elementary school.

“They are broken up into groups and work throughout the course of the year to identify a need in the community, whether it’s on campus or in Tuscaloosa. They think about ways to make a positive, sustainable change,” Mary Alice Porter, coordinator for First Year Experience and Parent Programs, said.

Mary Kucera, a member of the Freshman Forum majoring in nursing, participated in a school supplies drive to benefit Oakdale Elementary School. She said she and 11 members recognized that Tuscaloosa’s education system was struggling to support its students.

“We saw that the educational system was struggling. We thought it would be best to do a school supplies drive. It’s pretty popular, it’s easy, and it would benefit them well,” she said.

Her experience as an Al’s Pals mentor allowed her to see the struggle firsthand. Kucera noticed a lot of the kids in Oakdale Elementary School had the same school supplies. The group agreed the drive should benefit Oakdale.

“They all have the same folder. They all have the same see-through backpack. They all have the same pencil box. It’s obvious that it comes though the school,” Kucera said. “Giving school supplies will help the school save cost because school supplies aren’t cheap. Maybe they can use their cost elsewhere.”

The group put out boxes in various resident halls and sorority houses for people to donate notebooks, pencils, construction paper, loose-leaf paper, binder, crayons, pens and other school necessities.

Yardena Wolf, a Freshman Forum member majoring in political science, also participated in the school supplies drive. She said she knew some people who made an effort to contribute.

“I know a lot of people went out to Target or the Dollar Store to buy notebooks, markers and coloring pencils for the drive,” Wolf said.

The drive was from February 6-13, and the group collected about 270 school supplies items for the Oakdale Elementary School.

Elizabeth Gabriel, a freshman majoring in international relations, is a part of a group of seven that are having a cook-off at Capstone Village Retirement Community for their Civic Engagement Project. The cook-off, which will be across from UA’s Recreational Center, is Feb. 28.

“Each member of the group is going to provide a dish inspired from their hometown,” Gabriel said. “These dishes will spark conversation with the residents to allow the members of the group to share a piece of themselves and what they have uniquely brought to this university. The residents will then vote on their favorite dish for fun competition.”

Gabriel said the cook-off is meant to initiate interaction between generations at the University.

“So far this project has taught us about the qualities to plan an event to be successful, which includes organization, patience and flexibility,” said Gabriel. “We have improved our ability to compromise in a group setting and work together, utilizing our specific leadership skills, to work toward our goal.”

[Opinion] Men need to step up, have a voice in sexual consent war

Former FIU head coach Cristobal chosen as Tide’s offensive line coach

Crimson Tide men’s golfers tied for second-round lead at Puerto Rico Classic