Tide drops road match at Clemson, 5-2

The Alabama men’s tennis team fell to Clemson, 5-2, on Friday at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center, moving the Crimson Tide to 7-3 on the season and the Tigers to 7-1 overall.

Clemson took a 1-0 edge in the match following doubles as it picked up wins on courts one and three. The Tigers earned an 8-2 victory at No. 3 before Alabama junior Daniil Proskura and sophomore David Vieyra evened the count with an 8-5 win on court two. Tide senior Jarryd Botha and freshman Becker O’Shaughnessey made a late run at No. 1, but it wouldn’t be enough as Clemson held on to win, 8-6.

The Tigers collected three straight victories in singles on courts one, five and six to clinch the team victory. Proskura put Alabama on the board with a 6-3, 6-3 win on court three, moving him to 10-0 on the season in singles. Clemson tacked on its fifth point of the match with a three-set victory on court two before sophomore Philippe Tsangarides claimed the final point of the match with a 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 win on court four.

Alabama returns to action on Saturday when it hosts Furman and Southern Miss in a doubleheader beginning at 10 a.m. CT.

Baseball team has chance to redeem itself after ‘dismal’ season last year

Alabama men’s golf leads at Puerto Rico Classic after opening round

Frozen Tide to move on to national tournament after defeating South Carolina, Arkansas